The Diamondbacks aren’t shopping Trevor Bauer

1 Comment

On the heels of a report earlier this week that the Diamondbacks were listening to offers for Trevor Bauer because he “fell out of favor” with some members of the organization, team president Derrick Hall told Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com yesterday that the young right-hander isn’t being shopped.

Hall acknowledged that Bauer made some mistakes during his rookie season, but he also praised him for reaching out to several teammates and members of the front office this offseason in an effort to make amends.

“He realizes he made mistakes, and I applaud that,” Hall said to reporters at the club’s Celebrity Golf Classic on Friday. “That shows a tremendous amount of maturity on his part.”

At issue was Bauer’s apparent unwillingness to adapt his style of pitching to major league hitters and his poor communication with catcher Miguel Montero. For what it’s worth, Montero mentioned some communication issues following Bauer’s second major league start. Hall understands why some are getting the impression that Bauer is on the block and there’s always the chance he could be moved since Kevin Towers has a policy where he’s willing to listen on anybody, but the Diamondbacks still consider the 2011 first-round pick an important piece for the future.

“Teams are assuming after the bumpy start that Trevor had that we may be looking to move him, and we are not. We are not shopping him,” Hall said. “Again, if they ask, [GM Kevin Towers’] response is ‘Hey, we are willing to listen,’ and that’s what’s happened here. Trevor has a bright future.”

Bauer, who turns 22 in March, posted a 6.06 ERA and 17/13 K/BB ratio in 16 1/3 innings in four starts with the Diamondbacks this season. He has a 3.00 ERA and 200 strikeouts over 156 innings in the minor leagues.

Report: Bryan Shaw has two multiyear offers on the table

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Free agent reliever Bryan Shaw has received two multiyear offers, Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. The teams in question have not been revealed, but the demand for Shaw is expected to be high as he comes off of a career-best season.

The 30-year-old right-hander went 4-6 in 79 appearances for the Indians, drawing a 3.52 ERA, 2.6 BB/9 and 8.6 SO/9 in 76 2/3 innings. He ranked 12th among qualified relievers with 1.6 fWAR, his highest mark to date, and proved instrumental in helping the club reach their second consecutive division title in 2017.

The Mets are the last known team to show interest in Shaw, as the New York Post’s Mike Puma reported Wednesday. Nothing has been officially confirmed by the club yet, naturally, but they could still use a couple of arms to round out the bullpen behind Jerry Blevins, AJ Ramos and Jeurys Familia and it’s worth noting that the right-hander has already worked closely with Mets’ skipper and former Indians’ pitching coach Mickey Callaway. While Shaw’s proven consistency and durability should appeal to a wide variety of teams, he’s due for a big payday after making just $4.6 million in his last year with the Indians.