Orioles optimistic about re-signing Nate McLouth

4 Comments

We heard a report earlier this week linking the Orioles to both Josh Hamilton and Cody Ross as potential options for left field next year, but the club is currently focused on keeping one of their surprising late-season contributors.

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles continue to pursue free agent outfielder Nate McLouth. The two sides have maintained dialogue since the 31-year-old hit the open market last week and two industry sources told Connolly yesterday that the Orioles are “still optimistic” about re-signing him.

McLouth’s future as a big leaguer was in doubt after he was released by the Pirates in late May, but he latched on with the Orioles just a few days later and was assigned to Triple-A Norfolk. He didn’t end up joining the big club until August, but he played a major role down the stretch, hitting .268/.342/.435 with seven home runs, 18 RBI, 12 stolen bases and a .777 OPS in 236 plate appearances. His hot-hitting continued during the postseason, as he batted .308 (8-for-26) with two home runs, five RBI and three stolen bases in five games.

There’s danger in putting too much stock in the small sample size of success, as McLouth could revert to the same player who batted .203/.312/.313 from 2010 to when he was released by the Pirates this year, but he has certainly played his way into another guaranteed major league contract.

Dave Roberts: It “doesn’t make sense” for Scott Kazmir to start year in Dodgers’ rotation

Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Scott Kazmir won’t begin the regular season in the Dodgers’ starting rotation. Manager Dave Roberts said after Kazmir’s Cactus League outing on Sunday that it “doesn’t make sense” for the ailing Kazmir to break camp in the rotation, Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times reports. The lefty will instead rehab some more and join the rotation at a later time.

Kazmir has been battling a hip issue which has caused his mechanics to suffer. He was clocked in the low 80’s 10 days ago and wasn’t much better on Sunday afternoon.

Last season with the Dodgers, Kazmir posted a 4.56 ERA with a 134/52 K/BB ratio in 136 1/3 innings, his worst numbers since returning to the majors in 2013.

Robert Gsellman wins spot in Mets’ rotation

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
1 Comment

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that Robert Gsellman has won the No. 4 spot in the Mets’ starting rotation. He adds that the Mets are likely to play things cautiously with lefty Steven Matz. The fifth and final rotation spot will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo.

Gsellman, 23, has had a great spring. The right-hander has allowed three earned runs on 15 hits and four walks with nine strikeouts in 17 1/3 innings. That is on the heels of seven solid starts at the end of the 2016 season during which he yielded 12 earned runs on 40 hits and 12 walks with 40 strikeouts in 41 innings.

Matz, 25, is dealing with irritation in his left elbow. He had surgery in October to remove a bone spur and was a Tommy John patient several years ago. It sounds like the Mets are leaning towards having him start the season on the disabled list.

Wheeler, 26, isn’t having a great spring. He’s surrendered seven runs in 7 1/3 innings. Lugo has given up three earned runs in seven spring innings and also looked solid in the World Baseball Classic although he took the loss in the final against the United States.