Wilson Ramos

One year removed from kidnapping, Wilson Ramos trying to focus on rehab from knee surgery


Yesterday marked the one-year anniversary of Wilson Ramos being kidnapped from his home in Venezuela. The harrowing ordeal has made an indelible imprint on his memory, but he told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post yesterday that he’s much more focused on rehabbing his surgically-repaired right knee.

“The truth is that I’m happy to be out of the situation,” Ramos said in a telephone interview Friday afternoon after his physical therapy session ended. “I know it’s been a year and remembering it, it was a sad moment and I hope to get away from it and forget about it. It’ll be hard to totally forget something like that. But, overall, I’m pretty calm now and worrying totally about my recovery. And I think that’s more important for me, taking care of my knee.”

Ramos appeared in 25 games with the Nationals this season prior to injuring his knee while chasing a passed ball behind the plate on May 12. He ended up needing surgeries to repair tears of both his ACL and meniscus. The 25-year-old hasn’t returned to Venezuela since the offseason, as he’s currently staying in the Washington, D.C. area, but he plans to make a visit once his rehab is over.

As for his progress from the surgeries, Ramos isn’t ready to run quite yet, but he can exercise on a stationary bike and do full body workouts with weights. He has dropped 10 pounds and plans to lose more weight, so we could have a best shape of his life candidate here. The hope is that he’ll be ready by the time pitchers and catchers report in February, though the Nationals will likely ease him into Grapefruit League action. Ramos is still considered the catcher of the future in Washington, but with Kurt Suzuki under contract for 2013, the Nationals can afford to give him all the time he needs.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.


Ichiro Suzuki is re-signing with the Marlins for 2016

Ichiro Suzuki

Fresh off his season-ending pitching debut, Ichiro Suzuki has decided to re-sign with the Marlins for 2016.

Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that an official announcement will be made later today,

Suzuki was one of the worst players in baseball this season, hitting .229 with one homer and a .561 OPS in 153 games as a semi-regular for the Marlins at age 41. He hasn’t topped a .700 OPS since 2010, hitting a combined .268 with a .304 on-base percentage and .342 slugging percentage in 769 games during the past five seasons.

He’s also just 65 hits short of reaching 3,000 for his MLB career and presumably the Marlins like being involved in that upcoming milestone and having the well-liked future Hall of Famer in the clubhouse to keep him around in what will no doubt be a lesser role.