One year removed from kidnapping, Wilson Ramos trying to focus on rehab from knee surgery

2 Comments

Yesterday marked the one-year anniversary of Wilson Ramos being kidnapped from his home in Venezuela. The harrowing ordeal has made an indelible imprint on his memory, but he told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post yesterday that he’s much more focused on rehabbing his surgically-repaired right knee.

“The truth is that I’m happy to be out of the situation,” Ramos said in a telephone interview Friday afternoon after his physical therapy session ended. “I know it’s been a year and remembering it, it was a sad moment and I hope to get away from it and forget about it. It’ll be hard to totally forget something like that. But, overall, I’m pretty calm now and worrying totally about my recovery. And I think that’s more important for me, taking care of my knee.”

Ramos appeared in 25 games with the Nationals this season prior to injuring his knee while chasing a passed ball behind the plate on May 12. He ended up needing surgeries to repair tears of both his ACL and meniscus. The 25-year-old hasn’t returned to Venezuela since the offseason, as he’s currently staying in the Washington, D.C. area, but he plans to make a visit once his rehab is over.

As for his progress from the surgeries, Ramos isn’t ready to run quite yet, but he can exercise on a stationary bike and do full body workouts with weights. He has dropped 10 pounds and plans to lose more weight, so we could have a best shape of his life candidate here. The hope is that he’ll be ready by the time pitchers and catchers report in February, though the Nationals will likely ease him into Grapefruit League action. Ramos is still considered the catcher of the future in Washington, but with Kurt Suzuki under contract for 2013, the Nationals can afford to give him all the time he needs.

Blue Jays, Josh Donaldson to table extension talks

Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images
5 Comments

Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith reports that the Blue Jays and third baseman Josh Donaldson are tabling extension talks as the two sides weren’t able to build any momentum towards agreement on a new contract.

Donaldson said, “We’re not quite there. That, to me, right now is not the major focus and I’m turning the page.” He added, “I want to play this season and really focus on winning games because, ultimately, our goal is to win a World Series and I don’t want to hinder that at all.” Donaldson also said he expects to hit free agency.

The 32-year-old avoided arbitration with the Blue Jays last month, agreeing on a $23 million salary for the 2018 season. He’s a free agent at season’s end. Last year, the three-time All-Star hit .270/.385/.559 with 33 home runs, 78 RBI, and 65 runs scored in 496 plate appearances. Donaldson missed six weeks in the first half with a calf injury, but was able to return and post terrific numbers, so his health — at least that aspect of it — shouldn’t be a concern going into spring training.

If Donaldson does reach free agency, he’ll join a star-studded group that will likely also include Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Charlie Blackmon, and A.J. Pollock.