Rafael Soriano, Michael Bourn, Nick Swisher and B.J. Upton to reject qualifying offers

4 Comments

Those free agents who received one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offers last week must decide by 5 p.m. ET tomorrow whether to accept them. David Ortiz finalized a two-year, $26 million extension with the Red Sox earlier this week, so that leaves eight players with a decision to make: Josh Hamilton, Rafael Soriano, Nick Swisher, Hiroki Kuroda, B.J. Upton, Kyle Lohse, Michael Bourn and Adam LaRoche.

Most believe that all eight will decline the qualifying offers, but we’ll keep track of them anyway.

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that Soriano intends to reject the qualifying offer from the Yankees. Mariano Rivera plans to return next season, so Soriano is expected to attempt to find a closer job on the open market. The Yankees will receive draft pick compensation if he signs with another club.

Another no-brainer, Scott Boras told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Bourn will decline the qualifying offer from the Braves. The 29-year-old speedster is coming off a career year and should do very well as one of the top position players available this offseason.

Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that Swisher will reject the qualifying offer from the Yankees. He also hears that five teams have interest in Swisher, including the Rangers and Mariners. The Yankees made the qualifying offer hoping that he would reject and sign elsewhere, ensuring them a draft pick as a result, so it appears they will get their wish.

Finally, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times hears that B.J. Upton is set to decline his qualifying offer from the Rays. An easy call, as he should land a long-term deal in free agency this winter. The Rays will get a compensatory pick when he signs elsewhere. Interestingly, the Rays have been mentioned as a possible trade partner with the Diamondbacks for B.J.’s brother, Justin Upton.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
5 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.