The first really public strife involving Bobby Valentine and the Sox last year came when Dustin Pedroia called him out in the media for making disparaging comments about Kevin Youkilis (“that’s not how we go about our stuff here”). In light of that — and in light of other rumored issues between Pedroia and Valentine — you’d think that maybe Pedroia would pile on Valentine now like David Ortiz did yesterday.
Nope. He’s rather philosophical about it all, actually:
“I had a meeting with him after I made those comments,” Pedroia said. “We had a team meeting and I went in there and talked to him and kind of expressed how I felt. He expressed things about me, and we were great, man … After they made the decision to fire him, I texted Bobby and told him thank you for the year and sorry that we didn’t accomplish our goals, but I just wanted to tell him I appreciated the things he said to me to make me a better player.”
Gosh, way to spoil a storyline, Pedroia. Quick: get another Red Sox player on the line. We need more “Bobby be CRAZY” talk.
The Tigers have been terrible and the embarked on a rebuild this summer, shipping off Justin Verlander and multiple other players. Miguel Cabrera is hurt and may never be his old MVP-level self. It is, without a doubt, that the Tigers and their fans are about to begin a new chapter in the franchise’s history.
Such new chapters usually involve new managers. Fourth-year manager Brad Ausmus is still at the helm and the Tigers have made no public statement about his future. Ausmus, however, is a lame duck, with his contract ending a week from Sunday. He is also no fool. He seems to know very well that he’s not going to be around next year. From Katie Strang of The Athletic:
Ausmus, of course, has been on the hot seat several times. When Detroit exercised his option for this year, their refusal to extend it sent a pretty clear signal.
If this is the end of the road in Detroit for Baseball’s Most Handsome Manager, it will end with him having missed the playoffs in three of his four seasons at the helm of a star-studded team that was expected to Win Now, as they say. Yes, there were a lot of issues with the Tigers — their bullpen has always been a problem and the brass made a lot of questionable choices in signings and trades over the past few years — but there is no escaping the fact that Ausmus’ Tigers under achieved.
Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.
This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.