Melky Cabrera’s agents cleared of wrongdoing by MLBPA

6 Comments

Melky Cabrera’s agents, Seth and Sam Levinson of ACES, have been cleared of any wrongdoing in the attempted coverup of Melky Cabrera’s positive test for testosterone following an investigation by the MLB players’ association. In other words, the union has apparently agreed with the notion that former ACES consultant Juan Nunez acted alone in the fake website/supplement scam. Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports has the scoop.

Upon Cabrera’s 50-game suspension, the union launched an investigation into ACES, which provided more than 1,000 pages of emails, phone records, personnel records and other documents, according to the memo. The union also spoke with the Levinsons and other ACES employees, a contractor who handles information technology for ACES and two co-conspirators of Nunez. All current employees were cleared of wrongdoing in the Cabrera case.

ACES’ cooperation into the investigation, as well as its previous compliance with Agent Regulations, worked in the agency’s favor, the sources said.

Also of note, the union will not investigate past allegations from the Mitchell Report or former ACES client Paul Lo Duca which link the Levinsons to performance-enhancing drugs. The union is expected to discipline the agency for how they handled the Nunez situation, but it’s not clear how they will be punished. However, Passan obtained a memo that was distributed to ACES clients which said any sanctions “will not compromise ACES’ ability to represent you in contract negotiations.”

This is a big win for an agency which has lost clients like Shane Victorino, Jonny Gomes, Nyjer Morgan and Everth Cabrera over the past couple of months. While none of their exits were believed to be related to the Cabrera fallout, the Levinsons’ reputation has really been through the wringer from a public relations perspective.

Another young fan was struck by a foul ball, this time at Guaranteed Rate Field

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
3 Comments

ESPN reports via the Associated Press that a young boy was struck by a line drive foul ball but was not seriously injured during Sunday afternoon’s game against the Royals. The boy and a woman were escorted by a first aid crew to the concourse area and the boy was later eating ice cream in a luxury suite.

A woman was struck in the face by a foul ball also on the first base side at Guaranteed Rate Field on Friday, but she didn’t request medical assistance.

Last week, a young fan at Yankee Stadium was hit by a line drive foul ball, which motivated several teams to commit to extending protective netting at their ballparks. The Yankees, strangely, were not among them. Nor were the White Sox.

Diamondbacks clinch NL Wild Card

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
3 Comments

Losses by the Cardinals to the Pirates and the Brewers to the Cubs on Sunday clinched an NL Wild Card berth for the Diamondbacks. Their walk-off, 3-2 win over the Marlins earned them hosting rights for the Wild Card game.

The D-Backs, now 90-66, trailed the Marlins 2-1 going into the bottom of the eighth. Daniel Descalso tied the game at two apiece with an RBI single off of Brad Ziegler. Second half hero J.D. Martinez secured the win with a walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the ninth against Javy Guerra.

The Rockies beat the Padres on Sunday to increase their lead over the Brewers (+2) and Cardinals (+2.5) for the second Wild Card slot. One of these three teams will visit Arizona for the Wild Card game.

The Diamondbacks are back in the playoffs for the first time since 2011, when they lost the Division Series in five games to the Brewers.