melky cabrera getty

Melky Cabrera’s agents cleared of wrongdoing by MLBPA

6 Comments

Melky Cabrera’s agents, Seth and Sam Levinson of ACES, have been cleared of any wrongdoing in the attempted coverup of Melky Cabrera’s positive test for testosterone following an investigation by the MLB players’ association. In other words, the union has apparently agreed with the notion that former ACES consultant Juan Nunez acted alone in the fake website/supplement scam. Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports has the scoop.

Upon Cabrera’s 50-game suspension, the union launched an investigation into ACES, which provided more than 1,000 pages of emails, phone records, personnel records and other documents, according to the memo. The union also spoke with the Levinsons and other ACES employees, a contractor who handles information technology for ACES and two co-conspirators of Nunez. All current employees were cleared of wrongdoing in the Cabrera case.

ACES’ cooperation into the investigation, as well as its previous compliance with Agent Regulations, worked in the agency’s favor, the sources said.

Also of note, the union will not investigate past allegations from the Mitchell Report or former ACES client Paul Lo Duca which link the Levinsons to performance-enhancing drugs. The union is expected to discipline the agency for how they handled the Nunez situation, but it’s not clear how they will be punished. However, Passan obtained a memo that was distributed to ACES clients which said any sanctions “will not compromise ACES’ ability to represent you in contract negotiations.”

This is a big win for an agency which has lost clients like Shane Victorino, Jonny Gomes, Nyjer Morgan and Everth Cabrera over the past couple of months. While none of their exits were believed to be related to the Cabrera fallout, the Levinsons’ reputation has really been through the wringer from a public relations perspective.

Report: Royals and Eric Hosmer have discussed a long-term contract extension

SAN DIEGO, CA - JULY 12:  Eric Hosmer #35 of the Kansas City Royals and the American League rounds the bases after hitting a home run against the National League in the 2nd inning of the 87th Annual MLB All-Star Game at PETCO Park on July 12, 2016 in San Diego, California.  (Photo by Denis Poroy/Getty Images)
Denis Poroy/Getty Images
1 Comment

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Royals and first baseman Eric Hosmer have discussed a long-term contract extension. However, Hosmer also indicated that he will head into free agency if a deal is not consummated by Opening Day.

Hosmer, 27, avoided arbitration with the Royals last month, agreeing to a $12.25 million salary for the 2017 season. He is one of four key Royals players who can become a free agent after the season along with Mike Moustakas, Alcides Escobar, and Lorenzo Cain. If Hosmer does reach free agency, he would arguably be the top free agent first baseman.

Hosmer finished the past season hitting .266/.328/.433 with 25 home runs and 104 RBI while making his first All-Star team.

Yankees sign Jon Niese to a minor league deal

PHOENIX, AZ - AUGUST 17:  Jonathon Niese #49 of the New York Mets delivers a pitch during the first inning against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field on August 17, 2016 in Phoenix, Arizona.  (Photo by Jennifer Stewart/Getty Images)
Jennifer Stewart/Getty Images
2 Comments

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Yankees have signed pitcher Jon Niese to a minor league contract, pending a physical. Assuming the deal is finalized, Sherman notes that the Yankees will have Niese work as both a starter and a reliever in big league camp this spring.

According to Sherman, the Yankees were interested in lefty relievers Jerry Blevins and Boone Logan, but didn’t want to commit at their asking prices. They are looking for a lefty set-up man along with Tommy Lane.

Niese, 30, pitched for the Pirates and Mets last season, finishing with a 5.50 ERA and an 88/47 K/BB ratio over 121 innings.