Mariano Rivera is coming back for another season.
We heard last week that Rivera was “having second thoughts” about returning, but George A. King III of the New York Post reports that the all-time saves leader got in touch with Yankees general manager Brian Cashman yesterday to let him know that he plans to pitch in 2013.
“Rivera contacted us and wants to play,” Cashman told The Post.
Rivera was resolute in his intention to return for his 19th major league season after he tore the ACL in his right knee at Kauffman Stadium in May, but he was less sure about the idea in recent weeks. Understandable for someone who is set to turn 43 later this month and is coming off a major surgery. Rivera is a free agent, so the two sides will have to come to terms on a new contract. He made $15 million this year. The Yankees made a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer to Rafael Soriano yesterday, but the smart money is on him declining and looking for a closer job elsewhere.
Tigers’ center fielder Anthony Gose wants to try his hand at pitching, according to comments made by manager Brad Ausmus on Sunday. Gose is poised to start the year in Triple-A Toledo after receiving a midseason demotion to Double-A last summer following an altercation with Triple-A manager Lloyd McClendon.
While the experiment won’t detract from Gose’s outfield work in Triple-A, the 26-year-old is expected to take on additional bullpen sessions throughout the year. According to MLB.com’s Jason Beck, the left-handed hitter last took the mound in high school, where his fastball was clocked as fast as 97 m.p.h. Gose ultimately rejected the idea of starting his professional career as a pitcher, despite receiving favorable assessments from scouts.
Ausmus said the idea first surfaced at the end of the 2016 season. It appears to be a fallback option for the outfielder, who has struggled at the plate over his five-year career in the majors. Via Chris McCosky of the Detroit News:
Doolittle in Oakland did it and he was in the big leagues a couple of years later,” Ausmus said. “It’s going to take some time. He’s going to have to be a sponge and catch up on experience fast. But we feel it’s worth investigating.
Nationals’ right-hander Stephen Strasburg will take the mound for the club on Opening Day, manager Dusty Baker said on Sunday. The news is hardly surprising given Max Scherzer’s questionable status this spring, though it had yet to be confirmed by the club.
Strasburg is approaching his eighth run with the club in 2017. He went 15-4 in 2016, finishing the year with a 3.60 ERA, 2.7 BB/9 and 11.2 SO/9 in 147 2/3 innings. This will mark his fourth Opening Day assignment with the Nationals.
Scherzer, the Nationals’ Opening Day starter in both 2015 and 2016, is scheduled to make his season debut sometime during the first week of the season. The right-hander is expected to take things more slowly this spring as he finishes rehabbing a stress fracture in his finger.
The Nationals will open their season against the Marlins on April 3.