Schilling

Great Moments in Cause and Effect

25 Comments

Curt Schilling, August 21, 2012:

Schilling tweeted that “if the state loses money it’s because the Governor is a dunce of epic proportions, nothing I can do about that.” In follow-up tweets on Monday, Schilling also called the governor a “buffoon” and called the prospect of him getting re-elected in 2014 “terrifying.”

Lincoln Chafee, November 1, 2012:

Governor Lincoln Chafee used a video message today to announce litigation by the state over the failure of 38 Studios. The defendants named in the state’s action include Curt Schilling and former EDC director Keith Stokes.

Curt Schilling, November 2, 2012:

Schilling says he believes he’s being sued in part because of critical comments he made about Gov. Lincoln Chafee. He also says he might file his own lawsuit.

I actually kinda doubt that the lawsuit decision had anything to do with Schilling’s August comments. I did litigation for the State of Ohio for close to a year, and it just doesn’t work like that. Filing suit against anyone is a big pain in the butt, no one really wants to do it unless they have to and, if anything, it’s a decision made by 30 people below the governor who wouldn’t pay a lick of attention to dumb comments like Schilling’s in order to pull the lawsuit trigger in the first place.

But part of me does want to believe that those comments brought it all down. Because that would be too awesome for words.

With Adam Jones ailing, Orioles add Borbon to outfield

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 13: Adam Jones #10 of the Baltimore Orioles reacts after being hit in the hand by a pitch in the sixth against the San Francisco Giants inning during an interleague game at AT&T Park on August 13, 2016 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)
Getty Images
4 Comments

NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.

Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.

“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”

Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.

“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”

Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.

The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.

No structural damage found in Andrew Benintendi’s knee

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - AUGUST 24:  Shortstop Matt Duffy #5 of the Tampa Bay Rays tags out Andrew Benintendi #40 of the Boston Red Sox after Dustin Pedroia grounded into the double play  during the seventh inning of a game on August 24, 2016 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Getty Images
7 Comments

Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.

Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.

Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.