Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com has an update on the David Ortiz-Red Sox talks, which both parties likely want to put to bed soon without the sort of beefing we had in the past two offseasons:
A source with knowledge of the talks said Wednesday that the two sides continue to exchange proposals, with some progress being made, but are not close to a deal.
Nick Cafardo says similar things — talks ongoing — but is more bullish on the timeline, saying that the parties think they’ll have something done withing 24 hours, and on how close the parties are on money (he calls it “a modest gap”).
As McAdam notes, there is not any magic to the timeline, though, apart from convenience. Even if a deal is not struck by then, it is a no-brainer that the Sox will make Ortiz a qualifying offer — $13.3 million for one year — and that Ortiz will decline it, given that it would represent a pay cut from the $14.575 million he made in 2012.
Sure, that would make him fair game for any other team, but I think the most shocking thing of this offseason would be for David Ortiz to change teams.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.