Former Cardinals outfielder Chris Duncan overcoming brain tumor

9 Comments

The baseball family that includes ex-Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan and his sons, former Cardinals outfielder Chris and the still active major leaguer Shelley, suffered a big blow last year when Dave’s wife, Jeanine, was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Dave was away from the  Cardinals for much of the 2011 season, and he remained on a leave of absence for the duration of 2012.

While Jeanine has continued her fight with cancer this year, the family got an even bigger shock at the end of September, as Chris was diagnosed with a brain tumor of his own, he tells the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Flown down on a Cardinals’ owner’s private jet, Duncan received treatment at the same Duke University medical facility that his mother did. Surgery took place Oct. 10, and now he’s getting chemo.

“They took out 95 percent of the tumor, there was a little bit left,” Chris Duncan said. “They said most of the tumor was Stage 2 cancer, there was a little piece that was a Stage 4 — but that was a small piece of it.”

The tumor was in his speech area of the brain, so he wasn’t able to talk for the first week after the operation.

“I remembered the surgery the next day, but the swelling grew, then I was out of it for a week,” he said. “Then I woke up and I started gradually getting better. I remember waking up and seeing the Cardinals led the Giants 3-1. I didn’t remember anything about the Washington series.”

Doctors aren’t sure if Duncan and his mother were both exposed to something that led to the tumors. Chris did get a lot of X-rays for his neck problems that ended his career, and he wonders if that has something to do with it.

Chris, who is just 31, played five years with the Cardinals before having to call it quits, hitting .257/.348/.458 with 55 homers in 1,147 at-bats. He’s currently doing sports talk radio in St. Louis, and he’s hoping to return to the air next week.

Report: Braves to promote Ronald Acuña

AP Photo/Lynne Sladky
1 Comment

MLB.com’s Mark Bowman confirms a report from Daniel Álvarez Montes of EVTV Miami that the Braves are calling up outfield prospect Ronald Acuña from Triple-A Gwinnett.

The move is obviously much anticipated and expected, as Acuña is considered the top prospect in baseball among those who hadn’t been called up to the majors yet. Acuña has had a slow start with Gwinnett, as he’s batting only .215/.301/.277 in 73 plate appearances. However, he has turned things around somewhat in recent days, batting .379 with a double and a homer since April 17.

Acuña should be in Wednesday’s starting lineup against the Reds and he should be a lineup regular going forward. The expectations are high for Acuña, who signed with the Braves as an international free agent in July 2014.