Here are the lineups for Game 7 of the NLCS between the Cardinals and Giants, in San Francisco:
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
1. Jon Jay, CF 1. Angel Pagan, CF
2. Carlos Beltran, RF 2. Marco Scutaro, 2B
3. Matt Holliday, LF 3. Pablo Sandoval, 3B
4. Allen Craig, 1B 4. Buster Posey, C
5. Yadier Molina, C 5. Hunter Pence, RF
6. David Freese, 3B 6. Brandon Belt, 1B
7. Daniel Descalso, 2B 7. Gregor Blanco, LF
8. Pete Kozma, SS 8. Brandon Crawford, SS
9. Kyle Lohse, SP 9. Matt Cain, SP
Matt Holliday is in the Cardinals’ lineup after sitting out Game 6 with a back injury, which means manager Mike Matheny can go with his now-standard playoff batting order with the season on the line.
Bruce Bochy is also going with his standard lineup versus a right-handed pitcher.
“You know the law: Two teams enter, one team leaves.”
The Los Angeles Angels announced today that they will lower the right field wall at Angel Stadium from 18 feet to eight feet.
The stated reason: to make room for a new out-of-town scoreboard and “philosophical changes.” Obviously, though, helping out lefty power hitters is on the agenda too. As it was, Angel Stadium was in the bottom ten of all parks in allowing homers for lefties.
One of their own lefties is Kole Calhoun, who is a pull hitter. Another one could be Shohei Ohtani, who is a lefty hitter. Although, as a righty pitcher, that could harm him against opposing lefty batters. I’m assuming, though, that the Angels ran a bunch of numbers to establish that this move helps them more than it hurts them, or else they wouldn’t be doing it.