UPDATE: The Cardinals added two more runs in the bottom of the seventh and now lead it 8-1. Yadier Molina delivered an RBI double off Guillermo Mota while Pete Kozma later had an RBI single against Jeremy Affeldt.
10:33 PM: The Cardinals are starting to pour it on against the Giants in Game 4 of the NLCS. After tacking on two runs in the bottom of the fifth inning, the Cardinals just added two more in the bottom of the sixth to take a 6-1 lead.
Daniel Descalso and Pete Kozma reached on singles against George Kontos before Adam Wainwright sacrificed them over to second base. Jose Mijares then replaced Kontos and gave up a two-run double to Jon Jay. Matt Carpenter flew out against Mijares before Guillermo Mota got Matt Holliday to pop-up, so Jay ended up being stranded on second base, but the Cardinals have built themselves a pretty commanding lead.
Adam Wainwright is back out there for the top of the seventh inning. He’s been excellent aside from the solo homer by Hunter Pence in the second inning, allowing just four hits while striking out four and walking none.
The 2017 MLB award season officially drew to a close on Friday with the Esurance MLB Awards, handed out to the best hitters, pitchers, front office members and moments in the 2017 season. Jose Altuve was crowned the Best Major Leaguer overall, beating out fellow finalists Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge, while two-time Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber took home honors as Best Pitcher.
Here’s the full list of winners:
- Best Rookie: Aaron Judge
- Best Defensive Player: Nolan Arenado
- Personality of the Year: Adrian Beltre
- Best Postseason Major Leaguer: Jose Altuve and Justin Verlander
- Best Postseason Moment: Alex Bregman‘s 10th inning walk-off single in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best TV/Radio Call: Joe Buck and John Smoltz call Jose Altuve’s game-tying three-run blast in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best Play (Offense): Nolan Arenado completes the cycle with a walk-off homer (video)
- Best Play (Defense): Austin Jackson‘s over-the-wall catch in the Red Sox’ bullpen (video)
- Best Single-Game Performance: Anthony Rendon‘s six-hit, three-homer, 10-RBI game (video)
- Best Player-Fan Interaction: Joey Votto gives Walter “Superbubz” Herbert a bat and jersey (video)
- Best Fan Catch: Fan’s brother-in-law grabs Yasiel Puig home run ball and chucks it back on the field (video)
- Best Manager: A.J. Hinch
- Best Executive: Jeff Luhnow
No surprises here — the world champion Astros ran away with seven awards, including those for Best Manger and Executive and a dual award for Best Major Leaguer of the Postseason. Altuve added to an impressive run this offseason after earning a Silver Slugger, two Players Choice Awards, Hank Aaron Award and MVP Award for his outstanding work in 2017, while Yankees’ slugger Aaron Judge continued to be a lock for all AL rookie-based awards after locking down the Rookie of the Year title earlier this week.