Carlos Quentin is planning to get into the Best Shape Of His Life

16 Comments

We’re months away from tracking all the “Best Shape Of His Life” players, but here’s a new twist: Carlos Quentin is planning to get into the Best Shape Of His Life this offseason.

Quentin played just 86 games this season due knee problems that required one surgery in March and another surgery two weeks ago. And now the Padres outfielder told Corey Brock of MLB.com that he’s going to get into better shape, lose weight, and stay healthy next year:

Some of it will be training, some rest and some weight loss. It will all be geared to staying on the field. I liked my weight when I came in. But when you have a surgery, especially with your lower half, you can’t do the extra work you want to do. I had to limit that greatly.

Given the circumstances of my knee, I think a lighter weight will be beneficial to me. My best year in Chicago, I was around 230. This year, I was in the 240’s. It doesn’t seem like that much, but over a season, it takes a toll. Hopefully my durability will return.

Sounds like a solid plan, although it’s worth noting that Quentin has never really had “durability” in the first place. Even before missing half of this season he missed 44, 31, 63, and 32 games during the previous four seasons and has never played more than 131 games in a year. If anything he’s been one of the least durable outfielders in baseball. But when healthy Quentin has always been productive, which is why the Padres are helping him with the weight loss effort after signing him to a three-year, $27 million extension.

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
6 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.