John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that David Ortiz is looking for a two-year deal between $25 million and $30 million from the Red Sox.
This is basically what he wanted last year and didn’t get, which led Ortiz to say he felt “humiliated” by the Red Sox. In hindsight a two-year, $25 million deal last year would have been better for the Sox. As it was they paid him $14.575 million for 2012, and will now be faced with paying him more than that for the 2012-13 seasons, plus the kicker year in 2014.
It was a gamble the Sox made, thinking perhaps that Ortiz could fall off a cliff. Now, instead of having him under contract for 2013 only, which is what would have happened if Ortiz got his way last winter, the Sox are likely going to have to go with more money and another year of risk on the guy.
But hey, he has earned it, has he not?
Rick Morissey of the Chicago Sun-Times published an article on Sunday giving a bit of insight into Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein. When Epsten was younger, he dabbled in sportswriting, but quickly realized the trade wasn’t for him.
As Morissey details, when Epstein was 19 years old writing for Yale’s student newspaper, he wrote an article suggesting the school’s football coach should be fired during what would become a 3-7 season. Epstein was told during the meeting that one writer would defend the coach and one would call for his job. “It was a lesson in the way that the world of journalism sometimes works. It was an eye-opener for me. I regret it, and I’ve happily moved on.”
Epstein continued, “I realized I didn’t want to be a sportswriter when I was interning with the Orioles back in ’92, ’93, ’94. I did do a lot of media-relations stuff, and I saw that the life of a sportswriter is pretty lonely. You kind of work by yourself, sit there by yourself in the press box, go back to the hotel bar. Not to generalize.” He added, “But I really respect writing and respect sportswriters.”
He’s not wrong, and he seems to have found his calling as a front office executive. His Cubs are back in the World Series for the first time since 1945.
Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis tweeted on Sunday, “Got a little too close to [Francisco Lindor] during the celebration!! Freak accident but should be good to go by Tuesday! #cantkeepmeoutofthisgame!”
Per MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian, manager Terry Francona said Kipnis is dealing with a low ankle sprain, but he’s expected to be ready to go when the World Series begins on Tuesday. Kipnis went through fielding drills on Sunday.
Kipnis is hitting .167/.219/.367 with a pair of homers and four RBI in eight games this postseason.