Here are the lineups for NLCS Game 1 between the Giants and Cardinals. First pitch is 8:00 p.m. ET.
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
1. Jon Jay, CF 1. Angel Pagan, CF
2. Carlos Beltran, RF 2. Marco Scutaro, 2B
3. Matt Holliday, LF 3. Pablo Sandoval, 3B
4. Allen Craig, 1B 4. Buster Posey, C
5. Yadier Molina, C 5. Hunter Pence, RF
6. David Freese, 3B 6. Brandon Belt, 1B
7. Daniel Descalso, 2B 7. Gregor Blanco, LF
8. Pete Kozma, SS 8. Brandon Crawford, SS
9. Lance Lynn, RHP 9. Madison Bumgarner, LHP
Cardinals manager Mike Matheny used this exact batting order throughout the NLDS against the Nationals and probably won’t make a lineup change the rest of the way unless there’s a sudden injury.
Giants skipper Bruce Bochy is also sticking to the basics. This game will be broadcast on FOX.
The Yankees signed Adam Lind to a minor league deal this past offseason. Then they released him during spring training. Now they have signed him to another minor league deal. He’ll report to extended spring training where he’ll now try not to get extended released.
Lind is a platoon guy with little defensive value, but he hit .303/.362/.513 with 14 home runs and 59 RBI in 301 plate appearances for the Nationals last season, serving as a pinch-hitter and backup first baseman and outfielder. The injury to Greg Bird and the impending suspension of Tyler Austin — he’s currently on appeal — will likely give him at least some opportunity to show that he’s still a big leaguer.
Which, yeah, he probably still is. Or at least would be if teams didn’t have 13 and 14-man pitching staffs and actually had room for a couple of bench position players. Such is not the current game of baseball, however.