New York Yankees shortstop Jeter screams as he injures himself fielding a ball hit by  Detroit Tigers' Peralta during the 12th inning of Game 1 of their MLB ALCS playoff baseball series in New York

Derek Jeter fractures ankle, out for postseason


Derek Jeter suffered a fractured left ankle diving for a Jhonny Peralta grounder in the 12th inning of Saturday’s loss to the Tigers and will miss the rest of the postseason.

The Yankees were down 5-4 when Jeter ranged to his left in order to make a play. He grabbed the ball but tumbled down awkwardly and didn’t get up. In obvious pain, he was helped off the field without putting any weight on the leg.

With a clean break being the initial diagnosis, Jeter is expected to miss about three months, meaning he should be ready for spring training.

In Jeter’s absence, the Yankees will undoubtedly restore Eduardo Nunez to the roster for Sunday’s Game 2. Nunez took part in the ALDS, but he was replaced by reliever Cody Eppley prior to Saturday’s game, as the Yankees opted to go with 12 pitchers against the Tigers. Nunez will share time with Jayson Nix at shortstop the rest of the way.

Jeter was 1-for-5 with a walk and two strikeouts before departing tonight. Including the series against the Orioles, he was 9-for-24 (.375) with two RBI and three runs scored in October.

Jeter is the all-time postseason leader with 158 games played, 200 hits, 32 doubles and 111 runs scored.

See also: It’s just not the postseason without Derek Jeter.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.


Ichiro Suzuki is re-signing with the Marlins for 2016

Ichiro Suzuki

Fresh off his season-ending pitching debut, Ichiro Suzuki has decided to re-sign with the Marlins for 2016.

Joe Frisaro of reports that an official announcement will be made later today,

Suzuki was one of the worst players in baseball this season, hitting .229 with one homer and a .561 OPS in 153 games as a semi-regular for the Marlins at age 41. He hasn’t topped a .700 OPS since 2010, hitting a combined .268 with a .304 on-base percentage and .342 slugging percentage in 769 games during the past five seasons.

He’s also just 65 hits short of reaching 3,000 for his MLB career and presumably the Marlins like being involved in that upcoming milestone and having the well-liked future Hall of Famer in the clubhouse to keep him around in what will no doubt be a lesser role.