We heard earlier this week that the Mets are expected to open negotiations with David Wright by offering him an extension “in the neighborhood” of $100 million. Mets general manager Sandy Alderson already began his pitch to Wright in September, but Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that formal talks between the two sides could begin as soon as next week.
Mike Puma of the New York Post was told by a baseball source last weekend that it’s feasible a deal could get done by the World Series, but a Mets source told Martino that it’s “too soon to tell.” While the Mets would like to keep a long-term deal in the range of $100 million, it’s believed he could command a six- or seven-year deal worth $120 million or more.
Wright, who turns 30 in December, batted .306/.391/.492 with 21 home runs, 93 RBI and an .883 OPS in 156 games played this season. His contract includes a $16 million club option for 2013.
The Mets have yet to engage in any serious talks with R.A. Dickey, though they are expected to at some point in the near future. If they two sides are unable to make progress, it’s possible the National League Cy Young hopeful could be traded this winter. His contract includes a bargain $5 million club option for next season.
The Cubs had a scare on Wednesday night when third baseman Kris Bryant left with an apparent ankle injury. In the bottom of the fifth inning, Nationals catcher Matt Wieters hit a pop up that veered just into foul territory near the third base bag. Bryant caught it but his momentum took him back into fair territory. In doing so, he stepped awkwardly on the third base bag and appeared to twist his ankle. Bryant needed the assistance of manager Joe Maddon and the team trainer to get off the field.
Bryant was diagnosed with a mild ankle sprain, CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney reports.
Bryant was 2-for-3 on the night before departing and being replaced by Jeimer Candelario. He’s now hitting .264/.395/.520 with 16 home runs and 32 RBI in 329 plate appearances. Needless to say, the 39-39 Cubs would see their playoff odds hurt immensely if Bryant were to miss a significant amount of time.
Hector Gomez reports Twins third baseman Miguel Sano will participate in the 2017 Home Run Derby, to be held in two weeks at Marlins Park in Miami. So far, Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton is the only other confirmed participant.
Sano, 24, is having an outstanding season, batting .274/.375/.548 with 18 home runs and 53 RBI in 293 plate appearances. According to MLB’s Statcast, only Yankees outfielder Aaron Judge (96.7 MPH) has a higher average exit velocity than Sano (96.4 MPH).
Brian Dozier was the last member of the Twins to participate in the Home Run Derby. In 2014 at Target Field, Dozier failed to make it into the second round after hitting only two home runs. Justin Morneau is the only Twin to have ever won the Home Run Derby, as he beat Josh Hamilton 5-3 in the finals of the 2008 Derby at Yankee Stadium — although Hamilton out-homered him in total 35 to 22.