We heard the news about Alex Rodriguez being benched for Game 5, and the reaction from the manager, now here it is straight from the man himself:
“Obviously I’m not happy and disappointed. You want to be in there in the worst way, but as I keep telling you guys, this isn’t a story about one person. This is about a team, and we have some unfinished business today. Our objective is to win one game tonight and keep this thing moving.”
When if he’s OK coming off the bench — and Joe Girardi said he would pinch hit Rodriguez if and a lefty comes in — he said:
“Without question. I do know in 27 outs, a lot can happen. I’ll be ready.”
He also added that he has no problem with Joe Girardi, saying “It’s never about Joe. I always have to look in the mirror and do what I can do to do the best I can.”
Well, at least he has experience with that.
Seriously, though: those are all the right answers. If anyone is looking to make a bigger deal out of this than “struggling player sits in favor of player with better chance to help team win in a single game,” they’re just looking for stuff that isn’t there. To the extent this becomes a bigger drama, it’ll happen in the offseason in the event that the Yankees think about fundamentally changing A-Rod’s role with the team.
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes will opt out of his contract shortly after the World Series concludes. Cespedes, who earned $17.5 million for the 2016 season, has two years and $47.5 million remaining on his deal which includes an opt-out clause.
That Cespedes plans to opt out isn’t surprising as he’s almost certain to get a better contract entering a weak free agent market. He hit a terrific .280/.354/.530 with 31 home runs and 86 RBI in 543 plate appearances for the Mets this past season.
It remains to be seen how the Mets will deal with potentially losing Cespedes. They can pick up a $13 million club option for Jay Bruce, but he performed terribly after joining the Mets in a trade from the Reds. The Mets could also go after free agents Jose Bautista or Mark Trumbo. Curtis Granderson and Michael Conforto will handle the other two outfield positions.
Major League Baseball announced on Wednesday that former Red Sox DH David Ortiz and Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant won the 2016 Hank Aaron Award in their respective leagues.
Ortiz, 40, flourished in his final season, batting .315/.401/.620 with 38 home runs and 127 RBI in 626 plate appearances during the regular season. His .620 slugging percentage, 1.021 OPS, and 48 doubles led the majors while his 127 RBI led the American League. Ortiz also won the Hank Aaron Award back in 2005.
Bryant, 24, is the likely winner of the National League Most Valuable Player Award as well. He hit .292/.385/.554 with 39 home runs and 102 RBI over 699 plate appearances. He also led the league by scoring 121 runs. Bryant is the first Cub to win the Hank Aaron Award since Aramis Ramirez in 2008.
Last year’s winners in the AL and NL, respectively, were Josh Donaldson and Bryce Harper.