Red Sox to start contract talks with David Ortiz next week

20 Comments

General manager Ben Cherington has said that the Red Sox hope to re-sign free agent David Ortiz and Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston talked to a team source who says negotiations will begin “at some point next week.”

According to McDonald the two sides have had some informal talks already, but things are expected to get “serious” next week after Cherington noted that Ortiz “is someone who we feel strongly about bringing back.”

For his part Ortiz has said he wants to a multi-year deal, but for a 37-year-old who missed nearly the entire second half with an Achilles’ tendon injury that seems like a stretch. When healthy Ortiz was still an elite hitter, batting .318 with 23 homers in 90 games while topping a 1.000 OPS for the first time since 2007, but he also wanted a multi-year deal last offseason before accepting arbitration and settling for a one-year, $14.575 million contract.

Back then he was a 36-year-old designated hitter coming off a .953 OPS in 146 games. Now he’ll be a 37-year-old designated hitter coming off a 1.026 OPS in 90 games.

Andrew Miller left Monday’s game due to reaggravation of patella tendinitis

Jason Miller/Getty Images
1 Comment

Indians reliever Andrew Miller lasted only six pitches in Monday night’s appearance against the Red Sox. He walked Mookie Betts on six pitches before being relieved by Dan Otero. Per MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian, Miller reaggravated the patella tendinitis in his right knee.

Miller, 32, missed a couple of weeks earlier this month with patella tendinitis. He was activated last Friday and got two outs in a scoreless appearance against the Royals that night.

Bastian pointed out that Miller’s velocity has been lower than usual. He averaged 92.1 MPH on his fastball on Friday and 90.1 MPH on Monday, well below his normal average around 94 MPH.

The Indians should have more on Miller’s status after Monday’s game or on Tuesday. The lefty is carrying a 1.65 ERA with a 79/16 K/BB ratio in 54 2/3 innings on the season.

Joey Gallo and Matt Bush both experiencing concussion symptoms after colliding on Sunday

Tom Pennington/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Rangers third baseman Joey Gallo and reliever Matt Bush collided attempting to catch an infield pop-up during Sunday afternoon’s game against the White Sox. Bush was placed on the 10-day disabled list on Monday with an MCL sprain in his right knee. Both he and Gallo are experiencing concussion symptoms, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports, and Gallo also suffered a nasal fracture. Gallo has not yet been put on the disabled list.

Losing both players is a big loss for the Rangers, who entered Monday’s action just 2.5 games out of the second Wild Card slot.

Gallo, 23, has had a breakout season, batting .205/.329/.561 with 35 home runs, 65 RBI, and 68 runs scored in 410 plate appearances.

Bush, 31, has been solid out of the bullpen, putting up a 3.04 ERA with a 53/18 K/BB ratio in 47 1/3 innings.