Andy Pettitte takes the mound for the Yankees tonight in Game 2 of the ALDS against the Orioles and yesterday the 40-year-old left-hander dropped some pretty strong hints that he plans to return in 2013.
“I know the competition and the desire to compete is still there and I don’t feel like I kind of got that itch out from the 70 innings or so that I threw this year,” Pettitte said, via Mark Hale of the New York Post. “I was expecting to do a little bit more work than that.”
He made similar comments upon returning from the disabled list last month, basically saying that he was initially certain this would be his final season but started changing his mind after breaking his ankle.
Performance-wise there’s certainly no reason for Pettitte to call it quits, as he posted a 2.87 ERA and 69/21 K/BB ratio in 75 innings for his best ERA and K/BB ratio since 2005 and his best strikeout rate since 2004.
And now he’s starting Game 2 of the playoffs for the team with the best record in the league.
The 2017 MLB award season officially drew to a close on Friday with the Esurance MLB Awards, handed out to the best hitters, pitchers, front office members and moments in the 2017 season. Jose Altuve was crowned the Best Major Leaguer overall, beating out fellow finalists Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge, while two-time Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber took home honors as Best Pitcher.
Here’s the full list of winners:
- Best Rookie: Aaron Judge
- Best Defensive Player: Nolan Arenado
- Personality of the Year: Adrian Beltre
- Best Postseason Major Leaguer: Jose Altuve and Justin Verlander
- Best Postseason Moment: Alex Bregman‘s 10th inning walk-off single in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best TV/Radio Call: Joe Buck and John Smoltz call Jose Altuve’s game-tying three-run blast in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best Play (Offense): Nolan Arenado completes the cycle with a walk-off homer (video)
- Best Play (Defense): Austin Jackson‘s over-the-wall catch in the Red Sox’ bullpen (video)
- Best Single-Game Performance: Anthony Rendon‘s six-hit, three-homer, 10-RBI game (video)
- Best Player-Fan Interaction: Joey Votto gives Walter “Superbubz” Herbert a bat and jersey (video)
- Best Fan Catch: Fan’s brother-in-law grabs Yasiel Puig home run ball and chucks it back on the field (video)
- Best Manager: A.J. Hinch
- Best Executive: Jeff Luhnow
No surprises here — the world champion Astros ran away with seven awards, including those for Best Manger and Executive and a dual award for Best Major Leaguer of the Postseason. Altuve added to an impressive run this offseason after earning a Silver Slugger, two Players Choice Awards, Hank Aaron Award and MVP Award for his outstanding work in 2017, while Yankees’ slugger Aaron Judge continued to be a lock for all AL rookie-based awards after locking down the Rookie of the Year title earlier this week.