Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said before Wednesday’s season finale against the Marlins that his highest priority this offseason is to work out new deals with David Wright and R.A. Dickey. He’s determined to stay true to his word.
According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, a baseball source said that it’s “conceivable” that the club could have new deals with both players, at least in principle, by the time the World Series begins later this month.
The Mets hold club options on Wright ($16 million) and Dickey ($5 million) for next season, but each intend to test free agency if extensions aren’t worked out by spring training. Alderson has spoken with Wright’s representatives this week and it’s believed that he’ll seek a contract of at least seven years and $125 million. Alderson hasn’t discussed numbers with Dickey’s agent yet, but one “veteran agent” told Puma that the veteran knuckleballer will likely be getting “Oliver Perez dollars.” Painful reference aside, that means three years and $36 million.
It would be great news if the Mets can lock up their two big stars for the long haul, but the club is expected to have a payroll around $100 million in 2013. With Johan Santana ($25.5 million and $5.5 million buyout for 2014) and Jason Bay ($16 million and $3 million buyout for 2014) making up half of that total, you can forget about them doing anything significant in free agency this winter. And this report by Richard Sandomir in the New York Times indicates that ownership is still hard up for cash.
Rian Watt of Baseball Prospectus is hearing that a trade that would send Aroldis Chapman to the Cubs involves prospect Gleyber Torres and more going to the Yankees. He adds that the holdup in the trade talks is centered around a contract extension for Chapman, believed to be around four years in length and $60 million total. The deal may not be finalized if the Cubs don’t get him signed to an extension they like. In Watt’s words, “Package is set. Extension is not.”
We learned earlier on Sunday that the Yankees were working hard to trade Chapman, reportedly in contact with at least four teams. The Cubs were not believed to be the front runners but certainly upped the ante by offering Torres.
Torres, 19, is rated the Cubs’ #1 prospect and #24 overall in baseball by MLB Pipeline. The shortstop has spent the season with Single-A Myrtle Beach, batting .275/.359/.433 with nine home runs, 47 RBI, 62 runs scored, and 19 stolen bases in 409 plate appearances.
Torres is currently roadblocked at shortstop by Addison Russell, and 21-year-old Ian Happ is rated #3 in the Cubs’ system, so the club would be dealing from surplus.
Prior to Sunday afternoon’s game against the Mariners, the Blue Jays designated reliever Drew Storen for assignment and recalled reliever Ryan Tepera from Triple-A Buffalo.
Storen, 28, had a nightmare of a time with the Jays, leaving with a 6.21 ERA and a 32/10 K/BB ratio over 33 1/3 innings. The Jays acquired him in January from the Nationals in exchange for outfielder Ben Revere and a player to be named later.
Storen is owed the remainder of his $8.375 million salary, which makes it likelier that the right-hander will pass through waivers unclaimed. He’ll be eligible for free agency after the season.