Last week Dan Haren got pretty angry when “a source familiar with the team’s thinking” told Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com that the Angels were planning to decline his 2013 option, saying it was “dumb timing” because the story had the possibility of distracting the team down the stretch.
However, after last night’s start against the Mariners in which he allowed five runs in six innings to take the loss Haren sure sounded like someone who expects to be cut loose just like the unnamed source suggested.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times notes that Haren approached reporters by asking “one last time?” and then went on to say:
Definitely, the thought has crossed my mind. Part of me feels a little guilty because of the way this year went. If I would have had my average year, we’d probably be where we want to be. I’m not looking to break the bank, I’m not looking to sign a Zack Greinke deal. I’m looking for whatever is fair. I’ll have to see what happens. Players work hard to get to free agency. I’ve played nine years, and if I become a free agent, it would be stupid not to take advantage of that.
Haren indicated that he’d be open to re-signing with the Angels at a lesser annual salary, but actually hitting the open market and fielding offers from multiple teams has a tendency to make that less appealing for most free agents in his situation.
In past years the Angels choosing a $15.5 million option over a $3.5 million buyout would be a relatively easy decision, but as a 32-year-old with back problems coming off a season in which he posted a 4.33 ERA they may feel that money would be better spent on keeping Zack Greinke long term.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.