Dan Haren feels “guilty” about poor performance, won’t be surprised if Angels decline option

3 Comments

Last week Dan Haren got pretty angry when “a source familiar with the team’s thinking” told Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com that the Angels were planning to decline his 2013 option, saying it was “dumb timing” because the story had the possibility of distracting the team down the stretch.

However, after last night’s start against the Mariners in which he allowed five runs in six innings to take the loss Haren sure sounded like someone who expects to be cut loose just like the unnamed source suggested.

Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times notes that Haren approached reporters by asking “one last time?” and then went on to say:

Definitely, the thought has crossed my mind. Part of me feels a little guilty because of the way this year went. If I would have had my average year, we’d probably be where we want to be. I’m not looking to break the bank, I’m not looking to sign a Zack Greinke deal. I’m looking for whatever is fair. I’ll have to see what happens. Players work hard to get to free agency. I’ve played nine years, and if I become a free agent, it would be stupid not to take advantage of that.

Haren indicated that he’d be open to re-signing with the Angels at a lesser annual salary, but actually hitting the open market and fielding offers from multiple teams has a tendency to make that less appealing for most free agents in his situation.

In past years the Angels choosing a $15.5 million option over a $3.5 million buyout would be a relatively easy decision, but as a 32-year-old with back problems coming off a season in which he posted a 4.33 ERA they may feel that money would be better spent on keeping Zack Greinke long term.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
1 Comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
6 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.