scioscia getty

Angels owner says Mike Scioscia and Jerry Dipoto are safe

11 Comments

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported earlier this week that Angels owner Arte Moreno had been “expressing unhappiness behind the scenes” with the performance of both longtime skipper Mike Scioscia and first-year general manger Jerry Dipoto.

But that unhappiness isn’t going to lead to much.

Moreno spoke directly with MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez on Saturday afternoon and put to rest the growing speculation that he was considering making significant changes in the front office and dugout.

“Regardless of what happens the next 11 games, Mike Scioscia will 100 percent return,” Moreno said in a phone interview with MLB.com. “I have told him. He wants to come back, I want him to come back. He’s been the manager of the Angels for 13 years. He will be the manager of the Angels for a 14th year. Period.

Jerry Dipoto will be back. I think we’re learning a lot about ourselves, but [Dipoto] will be back.”

Scioscia signed a 10-year contract in 2009. Dipoto was hired this past offseason to replace Tony Reagins.

The Angels entered play Saturday evening with an 82-69 record, ranking third in the American League West and three games behind the Athletics in the hunt for the American League’s second Wild Card.

Orioles are eying Welington Castillo as their primary catcher target

BALTIMORE, MD - SEPTEMBER 25: Welington Castillo #7 of the Arizona Diamondbacks warms up prior to taking an at bat against the Baltimore Orioles in the second inning at Oriole Park at Camden Yards on September 25, 2016 in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by Matt Hazlett/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A report from the Baltimore Sun’s Dan Connolly suggests that free agent catcher Welington Castillo currently tops the Orioles’ list of potential backstop targets for the 2017 season. With Matt Wieters on the market, the Orioles lack a suitable platoon partner for Caleb Joseph behind the dish, and Connolly adds that the club has been discussing a multi-year deal with Castillo’s representatives since the Winter Meetings.

Castillo batted .264/.322/.423 with the Diamondbacks in 2016, racking up 14 home runs and driving in a career-high 68 RBI in 457 PA. His bat provides much of his upside, and Connolly quoted an anonymous National League scout who believes that the 29-year-old’s defensive profile has fallen short of his potential in recent years.

For better or worse, both the Orioles and Castillo appear far from locking in a deal for 2017. Both the Rays and Braves have expressed interest in the veteran catcher during the past week, while the Orioles are reportedly considering Wieters, Nick Hundley and Chris Iannetta as alternatives behind the plate.

Report: Phillies agree to minor league deal with Daniel Nava

KANSAS CITY, MO - SEPTEMBER 12:  Daniel Nava #12 of the Kansas City Royals bats during the game against the Oakland Athletics at Kauffman Stadium on September 12, 2016 in Kansas City, Missouri.  (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
Getty Images
3 Comments

The Phillies reportedly signed veteran outfielder Daniel Nava to a minor league contract, according to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Nava began the season on a one-year contract with the Angels, during which he slashed .235/.309/.303 through 136 PA in the first half of 2016. He was flipped to the Royals in late August for a player to be named later and saw the remainder of his year go down the drain on an .091 average through 12 PA in Anaheim. After getting the boot from the Angels’ 40-man roster in November, the 33-year-old outfielder elected free agency.

Nava is expected to compete for a bench role on the Phillies’ roster in the spring. As it currently stands, the club’s projected 2017 outfield features Howie Kendrick and Odubel Herrera, with precious little depth behind them. Nava’s bat is underwhelming, but at the very least he offers the Phillies a warm body in left field and a potential platoon partner for one of their younger options, a la Tyler Goeddel or Roman Quinn.