San Jose postcard

Sounds like Bud Selig will try to force some compromise on the A’s and Giants over San Jose


Bill Shaikin has a story up from over the weekend about the State of the A’s.  The baseball state: good, obviously. The business state: nothing new, but we’re given the added color that some of the playoff tickets now on sale are going for $10.  Ten bucks for the playoffs. Mercy.

Of course at the heart of it all is the whole San Jose Limbo and everything associated with it.  On that, Shaikin offers the following nugget on how Bud Selig may try to resolve the three and a half year impasse:

There are indications Selig might rule by the end of the year. Yet, rather than say yes or no, Selig appears to be considering a ruling that could challenge both the A’s and Giants to fulfill certain criteria.

“I think there will be an effort to be Solomonesque,” said someone who has spoken with Selig but declined to be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue. “This is not a ‘yes or no’ sort of thing.”

Except that if the Giants are unwilling to compromise now, why would they enter into some sort of situation that requires them to “fulfill certain criteria?”  Which is another way of saying “compromise.”

Given the long, rich history of Major League Baseball supporting these antiquated, anti-competitive territorial rights, why on Earth would the Giants not just sit back and wait to sue?  And if you’re baseball or the A’s, why don’t you just force the move and see if the Giants do it?

I’m no advocate for war, but I can’t see how this gets resolved absent some shooting.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.


Ichiro Suzuki is re-signing with the Marlins for 2016

Ichiro Suzuki

Fresh off his season-ending pitching debut, Ichiro Suzuki has decided to re-sign with the Marlins for 2016.

Joe Frisaro of reports that an official announcement will be made later today,

Suzuki was one of the worst players in baseball this season, hitting .229 with one homer and a .561 OPS in 153 games as a semi-regular for the Marlins at age 41. He hasn’t topped a .700 OPS since 2010, hitting a combined .268 with a .304 on-base percentage and .342 slugging percentage in 769 games during the past five seasons.

He’s also just 65 hits short of reaching 3,000 for his MLB career and presumably the Marlins like being involved in that upcoming milestone and having the well-liked future Hall of Famer in the clubhouse to keep him around in what will no doubt be a lesser role.