San Francisco Giants v Colorado Rockies

Ramon Hernandez out for the season with torn hamstring

1 Comment

Ramon Hernandez’s rough season came to a painful end Monday night, as the Rockies catcher tore his left hamstring while running to first base on what proved to be a ground-rule double.

Hernandez previously missed a big chunk of the season with a hand injury and finished with just 52 games after playing at least 80 games in each of the previous 12 years.

He also hit just .217 and in Hernandez’s absence the Rockies have turned to 23-year-old rookie Wilin Rosario behind the plate. Rosario has shown great power with 24 homers, 15 doubles, and a .521 slugging percentage in 352 plate appearances, but that comes with an ugly .298 on-base percentage and league-leading 19 passed balls.

He’s still very much a work in progress, but Rosario has played well enough that the Rockies would no doubt be willing to hand him the starting job for next season … except Hernandez is under contract for $3.2 million as part of a two-year deal signed in November. Given his age and health status a backup role is probably best for Hernandez at this point, but that’s a big salary for a part-timer and the Rockies would probably love to unload his contract this offseason.

Coming off a career-worst year and hamstring surgery at age 36 that’ll be a tough sell.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.


Ichiro Suzuki is re-signing with the Marlins for 2016

Ichiro Suzuki

Fresh off his season-ending pitching debut, Ichiro Suzuki has decided to re-sign with the Marlins for 2016.

Joe Frisaro of reports that an official announcement will be made later today,

Suzuki was one of the worst players in baseball this season, hitting .229 with one homer and a .561 OPS in 153 games as a semi-regular for the Marlins at age 41. He hasn’t topped a .700 OPS since 2010, hitting a combined .268 with a .304 on-base percentage and .342 slugging percentage in 769 games during the past five seasons.

He’s also just 65 hits short of reaching 3,000 for his MLB career and presumably the Marlins like being involved in that upcoming milestone and having the well-liked future Hall of Famer in the clubhouse to keep him around in what will no doubt be a lesser role.