Joe Girardi had a heated exchange with a reporter after Saturday night’s loss to the O’s

51 Comments

Here’s the basic summary, courtesy of MLB.com:

Manager Joe Girardi engaged in a brief shouting match with columnist Joel Sherman of the New York Post in the visiting clubhouse at Camden Yards, and the pair were separated by team personnel.

Girardi conducted his postgame press conference with reporters in a noisy hallway outside the clubhouse and was irked at having to answer repeated questions about CC Sabathia’s health, saying at one point, “I’m not lying. One time is sufficient.”

The spat between Girardi and Sherman continued into the manager’s office, where players overheard the exchange before Sherman exited and the door slammed shut behind him.

ESPN’s Andrew Marchand adds that the two were nose-to-nose at one point in the manager’s office.

Girardi’s frustration stemmed primarily from a blown call at first base that ended the game and stripped the Yankees of what would have been the tying run. This is all sounds like heat-of-the-moment stuff — the kind of thing that can happen in any ultra-competitive environment — but it’s sure to feed a range of narratives in New York. “Has Girardi lost his cool?” “Are the Yankees already panicking?” “Is this a sinking ship?”

The Bombers enter play Sunday in a tie with the Orioles for first place in the American League East.

Brock Holt has been shut down from game activity

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Things have gone from bad to worse for Red Sox’ outfielder Brock Holt, who was shut down “for the foreseeable future” on Friday after meeting with head trauma specialist Michael Collins. The Red Sox placed Holt on the 10-day disabled list in April after he began experiencing vertigo, the latest in a series of head injuries he’s sustained since last spring.

According to the Boston Herald’s Jason Mastrodonato, the outfielder was initially advised to attempt playing through his symptoms, but it quickly became apparent that the strategy wasn’t going to work. Now, the plan is to shut him down from any game activity in the hopes that he’ll be able to recover from all lingering symptoms before returning to the roster. Club manager John Farrell told reporters that the 28-year-old is still cleared to take batting practice and work on his defense, but won’t continue his rehab starts in Triple-A Pawtucket for the time being.

Holt had been making regular appearances for the Pawtucket Red Sox and was batting .209/.292/.372 with two home runs through 14 games this spring. This season marks his fifth run within the Red Sox’ organization. He experienced a bit of a slump at the plate in 2016 and slashed .255/.322/.383 after breaking out during his first All-Star year in 2015.

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe suggests that the team’s concern for Holt extends past his setbacks at the plate. It’s still a long road to a full recovery, and while Farrell told reporters he believes the outfielder is on track to make a return sometime in 2017, he’ll need to make sure that Holt is both physically and mentally prepared to do so.

Nationals Acquire Ryan Raburn From White Sox

Getty Images
3 Comments

The Washington Nationals have acquired outfielder Ryan Raburn from the Chicago White Sox. Raburn had been playing at Triple-A Charlotte. He’ll be assigned to Triple-A Syracuse in the Nats organization. The Nationals will send cash or a player to be named later to the White Sox to complete the deal.

Raburn has yet to play in the majors this season. Last year he hit .220/.309/.404 with nine homers in 113 games for the Colorado Rockies. The year before that he hit an excellent .301/.393/.543 in part time play for the Indians. Over the course of his 11 year career the 36-year-old has hit .253/.317/.436, which breaks down to an OPS+ of exactly 100, which is league average. Primarily an outfielder, Raburn has played every position except shortstop and catcher in his career. He’s even pitched twice.

The Nats plans for him aren’t entirely clear, but depth it depth.