Matt Harvey has two more starts left this year

9 Comments

This isn’t quite on the level of Stephen Strasburg, but another talented young right-hander will be shut down soon.

According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Matt Harvey will make two more starts before being shut down for the season. His next scheduled start is Wednesday against the Nationals while his season will likely end during a three-game series against the Phillies at Citi Field from September 17-19. Jenrry Mejia is expected to take his rotation spot the rest of the way.

Harvey has logged 157 1/3 innings between the majors and minors this year after throwing 135 2/3 innings in his first professional season last year. The 23-year-old rookie has been mighty impressive over his first eight starts in the big leagues, posting a 3.04 ERA and 53/20 K/BB ratio over 47 1/3 innings. If all goes according to plan, he’ll open 2013 in the Mets’ rotation along with Johan Santana, R.A. Dickey, Jon Niese and Dillon Gee. Top prospect Zack Wheeler shouldn’t be too far behind.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
4 Comments

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
9 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.