Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com has a column up about the impending end of Stephen Strasburg’s season:
Having been informed by team management last week he will be shut down following next Wednesday’s start in New York, Strasburg finally has a clear view of the finish line on what will be remembered both as an equally remarkable and frustrating season for the young right-hander …
… “He’s all-in,” manager Davey Johnson said. “Every time he goes out, he’s committed to be the best he can be. He probably puts that standard higher than I like it. So I don’t see him ramping down to the last one of two, going at it any harder or any softer.”
Hope Johnson is right about the harder part. Because I get these visions of Strasburg, knowing that he has no reason to conserve energy because his season is over, rearing back for some extra mustard and blowing his arm out or something. Obviously that would be horrible and no one on the planet wants that to happen, but the irony, hoo-boy, that would be thick as hell. Sorry, my mind tends to wander into dark places sometimes.
That aside, I’m pro shutdown if the only alternative is this hooey from Jack McCaffery of the Times Herald:
So how can Selig nap while the Washington Nationals are announcing that they will disengage All-Star right-hander Stephen Strasburg under some cockeyed formula they believe will keep him stronger for some other season, not this one? … Selig, though, should demand that it not reach that point. For the good of the game, every team should be made to try its best to win every time it plays. Every. Time.
Yes, Bud should FORCE teams to make this or that personnel decision. That makes total sense.
(Thanks to Steve Silver for alerting me to McCaffery’s nonsense)
Free agent right-hander Tim Lincecum isn’t ready to hang up his cleats just yet. At least, that’s the word from Lincecum’s agent, Rick Thurman, who says the 32-year-old is still “throwing and getting ready for the season” (via Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News).
Lincecum may not be ready to enter retirement, but another quote from Thurman suggests that he’ll be picky about where he pitches next. He doesn’t appear open to pitching overseas, and despite not having a contract for 2017 (or even any serious suitors), the right-hander is set on pitching in the big leagues this year. Whether or not he’s willing to take a bullpen role to do so remains to be seen.
While Baggarly predicts some interest in the veteran righty, there’s not much in Lincecum’s recent history to inspire faith in him as a starter, or even a reliever. He picked up a one-year, $2.5 million contract with the Angels following his hip surgery in 2015, and went 2-6 in 2016 with a 9.16 ERA, 5.4 BB/9 and 7.5 SO/9 over 38 1/3 innings. At this point, a minor league contract seems like the surest path back to major league success, though he’s unlikely to find an open spot on the Giants’ or Angels’ rosters anytime soon.
Free agent right-hander Jeff Manship has reportedly signed with the NC Dinos of the Korea Baseball Organization, according to FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman. The righty was non-tendered by the Indians in December.
Manship, 32, completed his second season with Cleveland in 2016. He delivered a 3.12 ERA, 4.6 BB/9 and 7.5 SO/9 rate over 43 1/3 innings, a slight decline after posting an 0.92 ERA with the club the year before. During eight years in the major leagues, Manship carries a 4.82 career ERA, 3.6 BB/9 and 6.4 SO/9 in multiple stints with the Twins, Rockies, Phillies and Indians.
The right-hander will be joined by fellow MLB transplants Eric Hacker and Xavier Scruggs, each of whom took one-year deals with the Dinos last month. Steve Adams of MLB Trade Rumors notes that each KBO team is allowed up to three foreign players, so Manship will round out the trio when he joins the roster. Any salary terms have yet to be disclosed.