The Yankees have struggled to put runs on the board recently and have the Orioles hot on their tail going into a four-game series tonight in Baltimore, but the Bombers’ offense could be back to full strength soon.
According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Mark Teixeira tested his strained left calf by running in the outfield this afternoon at Camden Yards. He admitted that his calf is still a “little tight,” but plans to ramp up the intensity and hasn’t ruled out the possibility of returning to action tomorrow night. Yankees manager Joe Girardi seems to think later this weekend is more realistic.
“I’m not anticipating it (tomorrow), but we’ll see how he feels tomorrow and watch him go through what he needs to go through and make a decision,” Joe Girardi said. “You have to make sure that when he gets out there he’s ready to play and it’s not like a 50-50 chance that it’s going to happen the first night back. You can’t take that chance. We’ve got to feel pretty good that he’s going to be able to remain healthy.”
When Teixeira suffered the injury last Monday, it was originally estimated that he would miss one to two weeks, so he’s still roughly on schedule. He would likely take an extra day or two if the Yankees still had a nice cushion, but there’s obviously an increased sense of urgency right now.
Teixeira, 32, is hitting .255/.335/.478 with 23 home runs, 81 RBI and an .813 OPS in 119 games played this season.
MINNEAPOLIS — The Minnesota Twins say minor league pitcher Yorman Landa has died in Venezuela. He was 22.
The club said in a statement that the Twins are “deeply saddened by the heartbreaking loss.” The team did not say how he died.
Landa pitched in the 2016 season with the Fort Meyers Miracle, going 2-2 with 7 saves and a 3.24 ERA in 41 2/3 innings pitched. His career minor-league ERA was 2.66.
Landa had been on the Twins’ 40-man roster, but was dropped after the season. The organization signed him to a minor-league contract last week.
Landa was signed by the Twins in 2010 as a 16-year old from Santa Teresa, Venezuela.
A report from the Baltimore Sun’s Dan Connolly suggests that free agent catcher Welington Castillo currently tops the Orioles’ list of potential backstop targets for the 2017 season. With Matt Wieters on the market, the Orioles lack a suitable platoon partner for Caleb Joseph behind the dish, and Connolly adds that the club has been discussing a multi-year deal with Castillo’s representatives since the Winter Meetings.
Castillo batted .264/.322/.423 with the Diamondbacks in 2016, racking up 14 home runs and driving in a career-high 68 RBI in 457 PA. His bat provides much of his upside, and Connolly quoted an anonymous National League scout who believes that the 29-year-old’s defensive profile has fallen short of his potential in recent years.
For better or worse, both the Orioles and Castillo appear far from locking in a deal for 2017. Both the Rays and Braves have expressed interest in the veteran catcher during the past week, while the Orioles are reportedly considering Wieters, Nick Hundley and Chris Iannetta as alternatives behind the plate.