As expected the Red Sox have placed David Ortiz back on the disabled list just one game after returning from an Achilles’ tendon injury.
Ortiz went 2-for-4 with a double in that one game, but aggravated the injury that kept him out for more than a month the first time around and said afterward: “I can’t really play like this.”
He could be shut down for the season if some rest and a cortisone injection don’t do the trick, although this morning manager Bobby Valentine told Alex Speier of WEEI.com that the Red Sox “have the expectation he’ll be back.”
When healthy enough to be in the lineup Ortiz has had one of his best seasons at age 36 and with free agency around the corner, hitting .318 with 23 homers in 90 games to lead the league with a .611 slugging percentage and 1.026 OPS. It’s his first time with an OPS above 1.000 since 2007 and the third-highest mark of his career.
Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports that the Mets have discussed a trade involving starter Matt Harvey with at least two teams. Apparently, the Mets were even willing to move Harvey for a reliever.
The Mets tendered Harvey a contract on December 1. He’s entering his third and final year of arbitration eligibility and will likely see a slight bump from last season’s salary of $5.125 million. As a result, there was some thought going into late November that the Mets would non-tender Harvey.
Harvey, 28, made 18 starts and one relief appearance last year and had horrendous results. He put up a 6.70 ERA with a 67/47 K/BB ratio in 92 2/3 innings. Between his performance, his impending free agency, and his injury history, the Mets aren’t likely to get much back in return for Harvey. Even expecting a reliever in return may be too lofty.
Along with bullpen help, the Mets also need help at second base, first base, and the outfield. They don’t have many resources with which to address those needs. Ackert described the Mets’ resources as “a very limited stash of prospects” and “limited payroll space.”