Indians owner says no one is getting fired despite collapse

6 Comments

A few weeks ago Indians general manager Chris Antonetti made it clear that manager Manny Acta wouldn’t be fired despite the team falling apart in the second half for a second straight season.

But what about Antonetti’s job? Or the job of the man above him, team president and former general manager Mark Shapiro? Well, they’re safe too, according to Indians owner Paul Dolan: “We all have a lot of work to do, but their jobs aren’t at stake.”

It’s worth noting that Dolan said those words to Zack Meisel of MLB.com while attending Acta’s charity bowling fundraiser, so something like “I dunno, I have to think about whether or not to fire some people” probably would have been kind of a buzzkill.

Cleveland went 33-40 after the All-Star break last year, which looks downright dominant compared to this year’s 10-29 record in the second half. To which Dolan said:

It’s been extraordinarily difficult. In our entire tenure of ownership, we have not seen a contending team deep into the season collapse like this. I don’t really know what’s happened to this team. It’s going to take more time to assess what we have and what we need and what we’re capable of doing. … Hopefully sometime this offseason, we’ll be able to assess and move from there.

Acta was hired as manager in October of 2009, while Antonetti took over for Shapiro before the 2010 season.

Reds ink Oliver Perez to a minor-league deal

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds have signed free agent reliever Oliver Perez to a minor-league contract, the team announced Saturday. The deal comes with a major-league invite and could be worth $1.25 million if Perez secures a roster spot this spring, with an additional $500,000 in potential performance bonuses.

Perez, 36, is coming off of a two-year run with the Nationals. He produced a 4.64 ERA, 3.3 BB/9 an d10.6 SO/9 through 50 relief appearances and 33 innings with the club in 2017. The veteran lefty hasn’t kept an ERA under 4.00 in at least four seasons, but he continues to be undeniably solid against left-handed batters, holding them to a .227/.301/.364 batting line over 18 1/3 innings last year.

While returning southpaw Wandy Peralta appears to have locked down a bullpen spot already, Perez will still compete for another role against fellow left-handers Cody Reed and Amir Garrett, both of whom also have experience in the rotation. If Perez doesn’t break camp with the team, MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon notes, he’ll be permitted to opt out of his contract. The Reds are currently looking to bounce back from a dismal performance in 2017, one in which their bullpen ranked 28th among major league teams with a collective 5.63 ERA and -1.2 fWAR.