Chris Davis was further phased out of the Rangers’ plans two years ago by the Adrian Beltre signing. Now an Oriole, he watched Wednesday as Beltre hit three homers against his club in a Rangers rout. Davis, though, didn’t take it lying down. He joined Beltre and became the ninth player this year to hit three homers a game Friday in Baltimore’s 6-4 win over Toronto.
Davis homered twice off starter Carlos Villanueva and once off Steve Delabar to up his season total to 23 homers. While he has an ugly 132/26 K/BB ratio in 402 at-bats, he has hit an adequate .256 and driven in 64 runs.
The Orioles gave Davis a look at third base after picking him up in last summer’s Koji Uehara deal, but they’ve kept him away from the hot corner this season. He’s started 38 games at first, 15 in right and 11 in left, while also doing plenty of DHing.
Of course, he also famously picked up a win in relief in a game against the Red Sox in which he went 0-for-8 as a hitter.
The Orioles don’t figure to bring back Mark Reynolds next year — having both he and Davis in the lineup has altered wind patterns in the greater Baltimore area — so Davis could wind up as the team’s primary first baseman. He’ll further enhance his case if he makes a run at 30 homers next month.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.