Skip Bayless thinks we’re “remiss” if we don’t wonder if Derek Jeter is doing PEDs

142 Comments

Derek Jeter is having a great year. Especially for a 38 year-old. But the thing about elite,  Hall of Fame talents is that they often have great years late in their career. That’s sort of part of being an elite, Hall of Fame talent.

But Skip Bayless thinks it is incumbent upon us to be suspicious of Jeter. He thinks we’d be “remiss” not to ask if he’s taking PEDs:

Bayless engaged in a heated debate in which he quoted BALCO founder Victor Conte as saying synthetic testosterone use is “rampant” in the majors today. He then asked, “If you are Derek Jeter, would you think about using HGH right now?” Bayless backed off accusing Jeter of any wrongdoing.

“I am not saying he uses a thing,” Bayless said. “I have no idea. But within the confines of his sport, it is fair for all of us, in fact you are remiss, if you don’t at least think about this.”

No Skip, you are not. You are, however, a classless muckraking jerk for making such a weasely insinuation designed to use Jeter’s fame and a volatile subject to bolster your “he’ll say anything!” brand and get people to watch your dumbass show.

What say you Jetes?

Jeter said he hadn’t viewed “First Take,” nor had he heard about Bayless’ statements.

Good plan. And Jeter didn’t ask me, but if he did, I’d tell him he should just watch “The Lights” on the NBC Sports Network in the morning. No Bayless or Smith. Just 20 minute loops of all of last night’s highlights repeating all morning. We’ll only report on Jeter taking steroids on “The Lights” if he does it in the middle of a game!

Steve Delabar among three suspended after testing positive

Leon Halip/Getty Image
Leave a comment

Three players were suspended on Monday after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs. They are: Indians pitcher Steve Delabar, Mariners pitcher Jonathan Aro, and free agent pitcher Jeffry Hernandez. Aro got a 50-game suspension while the other two were handed 80-game suspensions.

Delabar, 33, hasn’t pitched yet this season after signing a minor league deal with the Indians back in January. He spent last year with the Reds as well as the Hiroshima Carp in the Japan Central League. The right-hander has struggled over the last few seasons.

Aro, 26, also hasn’t appeared yet this season in the minors. He’s worked mostly in relief. The right-hander appeared briefly in the majors with the Mariners last season and logged 10 1/3 innings in the show with the Red Sox in 2015. Aro went to the Mariners along with Wade Miley in the trade that brought the Red Sox Carson Smith and Roenis Elias.

Hernandez, 22, is a free agent and his suspension will be effective if and when he signs with a new team.

Phillies place Aaron Nola on the disabled list

Win McNamee/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Phillies announced on Monday that starter Aaron Nola has been placed on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to April 21, with a lower back strain.

Nola, 23, compiled a 4.50 ERA with a 15/6 K/BB ratio over his first three starts spanning 16 innings. He felt some back soreness during his last start on Thursday against the Mets, and it lingered when he had a side session on Sunday.

CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury hears that the Phillies are likely to call up Nick Pivetta from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to take Nola’s place in the rotation. Nola was scheduled to start on Wednesday.

Pivetta, 24, was acquired from the Nationals in the Jonathan Papelbon trade in July 2015. At Triple-A so far, Pivetta has given up only two earned runs on 12 hits and two walks with 24 strikeouts in 19 innings.