Giancarlo Stanton hit a couple of homers last night and brought his season line up to .288/.362/.595 with 26 bombs. He’s good, you see, so it makes sense that this is going down:
“There’s no doubt, we are very happy that he’s a Marlin,’’ team president David Samson said.
Samson said the Marlins have had internal discussions this year about a possible long-term contract for Stanton. “I don’t think it it has been anything concrete,’’ Samson said.
Stanton makes a paltry $480,000 this year, but he’s going to be eligible for arbitration as soon as this year if he’s a Super Two, and no later than 2013 regardless. Given his power at such a young age, he’s going to get expensive fast. And free agency — eligible after 2016 — is going to come sooner than anyone thinks. Now would be a great time for Miami to make him an offer.
Rian Watt of Baseball Prospectus is hearing that a trade that would send Aroldis Chapman to the Cubs involves prospect Gleyber Torres and more going to the Yankees. He adds that the holdup in the trade talks is centered around a contract extension for Chapman, believed to be around four years in length and $60 million total. The deal may not be finalized if the Cubs don’t get him signed to an extension they like. In Watt’s words, “Package is set. Extension is not.”
We learned earlier on Sunday that the Yankees were working hard to trade Chapman, reportedly in contact with at least four teams. The Cubs were not believed to be the front runners but certainly upped the ante by offering Torres.
Torres, 19, is rated the Cubs’ #1 prospect and #24 overall in baseball by MLB Pipeline. The shortstop has spent the season with Single-A Myrtle Beach, batting .275/.359/.433 with nine home runs, 47 RBI, 62 runs scored, and 19 stolen bases in 409 plate appearances.
Torres is currently roadblocked at shortstop by Addison Russell, and 21-year-old Ian Happ is rated #3 in the Cubs’ system, so the club would be dealing from surplus.
Prior to Sunday afternoon’s game against the Mariners, the Blue Jays designated reliever Drew Storen for assignment and recalled reliever Ryan Tepera from Triple-A Buffalo.
Storen, 28, had a nightmare of a time with the Jays, leaving with a 6.21 ERA and a 32/10 K/BB ratio over 33 1/3 innings. The Jays acquired him in January from the Nationals in exchange for outfielder Ben Revere and a player to be named later.
Storen is owed the remainder of his $8.375 million salary, which makes it likelier that the right-hander will pass through waivers unclaimed. He’ll be eligible for free agency after the season.