CC Sabathia throws bullpen session, aims to return next Friday

2 Comments

UPDATE: According to Jack Curry of YES Network, today’s bullpen session went off without a hitch. Sabathia is scheduled to throw another one Tuesday, but he was “emphatic” in saying he’ll return next Friday.

11:45 AM: CC Sabathia landed on the disabled list last week due to left elbow soreness, but he’s aiming to return as soon as he’s eligible next Friday against the Indians. He still has some hurdles to cross before being cleared to return, but the early signs are encouraging.

Sabathia threw off flat ground without incident for the second straight day yesterday. The big southpaw told WFAN’s Sweeney Murti that he’s scheduled to throw a bullpen session today for the first time since being placed on the disabled list. According to Steven Miller and Ethan Asofsky of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi isn’t ready to commit to a specific date, but he expects him to return at some point next weekend.

“I haven’t really nailed down that that’s the date,” Girardi said. “We have to see how the bullpens go and how he feels. That way I have a little leeway for the second day or the third day [of the series against the Indians], whenever it is. Let’s just see how his bullpens go before I give an exact date.”

Sabathia, 32, is 12-3 with a 3.56 ERA and 140/35 K/BB ratio over 141 2/3 innings in 20 starts this season. He had a previous stint on the disabled list in late June due to a left groin strain.

Marco Estrada signs a one-year, $13 million deal for 2018

Getty Images
1 Comment

Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.

This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.

The Red Sox will air anti-racism PSA before games beginning next week

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”

This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:

“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”