Roberto Hernandez to join Indians’ rotation Wednesday

2 Comments

UPDATE: According to Nick Camino of WTAM in Cleveland, Indians manager Manny Acta said that Hernandez will start Wednesday against the Angels.

2:01 PM: Roberto Hernandez hasn’t pitched for the Indians this season after being arrested in January on false identity charges in his native Dominican Republic, but that should change very soon.

According to Nick Camino of WTAM in Cleveland, Indians manager Manny Acta said Hernandez will likely get called up to start next week, either against Angels or Athletics.

Hernandez, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, has a 4.07 ERA and 20/4 K/BB ratio over 24 1/3 innings over his first four tune-up starts in the minors. This includes seven-innings of one-run ball with Triple-A Columbus last night. He’s eligible to return from his three-week suspension today, but the Indians will presumably wait until his turn in the rotation to activate him.

Hernandez has a 4.59 ERA over six seasons in the majors, all with Cleveland. He posted a 5.25 ERA and 109/60 K/BB ratio in 188 2/3 innings last season.

Athletics acquire Ryan LaMarre from Angels

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Athletics acquired outfielder Ryan LaMarre from the Angels for cash considerations or a player to be named later, per a team announcement on Sunday. In a corresponding move, they placed right-hander Chris Bassitt on the 60-day disabled list and assigned the outfielder to Triple-A Nashville.

LaMarre, 28, signed a one-year contract with the Angels in November, but was designated for assignment last Tuesday in order to clear roster space for veteran catcher Juan Graterol. He batted .268/.375/.341 with two extra base hits and four stolen bases through 10 games in Triple-A Salt Lake.

The outfielder has not seen a major league assignment since 2016, when he appeared in six games with the Red Sox (three times in the outfield and once on the mound) and went 0-for-5 with a walk. He’s expected to give the A’s some depth in the minors and will join Andrew Lambo, Matt McBride, Kenny Wilson and Jaycob Brugman in Nashville’s outfield.

Blue Jays place Troy Tulowitzki on 10-day disabled list with strained hamstring

Getty Images
4 Comments

Blue Jays’ shortstop Troy Tulowitzki is headed to the 10-day disabled list, club manager John Gibbons announced on Saturday. Tulowitzki left the eighth inning of Friday’s series opener when he injured his right hamstring in an attempt to steal third. Gibbons doesn’t have a concrete timetable for the infielder’s return, but told reporters that he doesn’t anticipate a lengthy recovery period.

Tulowitzki has battled numerous injuries before, from a serious quad strain to a chip fracture in his thumb, but this appears to be the first hamstring issue that has cropped up in his 12-year career. He’s the latest casualty on Toronto’s roster, which has lost Josh Donaldson, J.A. Happ, J.P. Howell, Dalton Pompey, Aaron Sanchez, Bo Schultz and Glenn Sparkman to various injuries in the last month. No official replacement has been named yet, though MLB.com’s Austin Laymance suggests that infielder Ryan Goins is ready to step in for Tulowitzki going forward.

Prior to his injury, Tulowitzki slashed .263/.295/.386 with one home run and a .681 OPS in 16 games with the Blue Jays. He went 1-for-3 on Friday with a base hit and a walk.