Amanda Comak of the Washington Times passes along the following update on the status of injured Nationals right-hander Chien-Ming Wang:
Wang, who gave up six earned runs off seven hits and two walks in Tuesday night in Double-A, had a recurrence of the hip soreness that landed him on the disabled list on July 3, a team spokesman said.
The 32-year-old right-hander has been taken off his minor league rehab assignment and shut down indefinitely, making it highly unlikely that he’ll be cleared to return from the disabled list before rosters expand in September. And if Wang is not able to progress quickly from this recent run of hip discomfort, it’s possible that we won’t see him again this season.
Wang has tossed just 80 innings — to the tune of a 5.02 ERA — since signing with the Nationals in 2010.
Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith reports that the Blue Jays and third baseman Josh Donaldson are tabling extension talks as the two sides weren’t able to build any momentum towards agreement on a new contract.
Donaldson said, “We’re not quite there. That, to me, right now is not the major focus and I’m turning the page.” He added, “I want to play this season and really focus on winning games because, ultimately, our goal is to win a World Series and I don’t want to hinder that at all.” Donaldson also said he expects to hit free agency.
The 32-year-old avoided arbitration with the Blue Jays last month, agreeing on a $23 million salary for the 2018 season. He’s a free agent at season’s end. Last year, the three-time All-Star hit .270/.385/.559 with 33 home runs, 78 RBI, and 65 runs scored in 496 plate appearances. Donaldson missed six weeks in the first half with a calf injury, but was able to return and post terrific numbers, so his health — at least that aspect of it — shouldn’t be a concern going into spring training.
If Donaldson does reach free agency, he’ll join a star-studded group that will likely also include Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Charlie Blackmon, and A.J. Pollock.