Todd Helton to undergo season-ending hip surgery, plans to play next year

12 Comments

Todd Helton injured his hip in early June and spent two weeks on the disabled list last month before rejoining the lineup, but the Rockies announced that the 38-year-old first baseman will undergo season-ending surgery Friday to repair a torn labrum.

Helton told Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post that he chose to have the surgery now because the recovery timetable is typically six months and he wants to be ready for spring training and plans to play next season.

Helton had a bounceback season last year, hitting .302 with an .850 OPS, but will finish this year hitting just .238 with a .743 OPS in a career-low 69 games. He’ll be paid $5 million next season in the final year of a long-term contract, but as part of the renegotiated deal the Rockies will owe him another $13 million in deferred money to be paid out from 2014-2023.

Colorado selected Helton with the eighth overall pick in the 1995 draft and he’s played his entire 16-season career for the Rockies, hitting .320 with 354 homers in 2,123 games for a .964 OPS that ranks third among active hitters. That includes a .350 batting average and 1.060 OPS at Coors Field, compared to a .289 batting average and .864 OPS on the road.

Yoenis Cespedes leaves game with pulled hamstring

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Mets and Braves are playing today and it’s not a great day for the Mets in the injury department.

First they scratched Noah Syndergaard with a “tired arm.” Now they’ve lost Yoenis Cespedes, who pulled up limping at second base following a double in the bottom of the fourth:

The team has announced that he has pulled his left hamstring.

Cespedes, of course, missed three games over the weekend due to hamstring issues. That was merely tightness, however, and following an off day and a rainout, Cespedes played last night without incident. But it now looks as though he’s going to miss some serious time.

No done deal for Jeter and Jeb: Rob Manfred says two groups still in play for the Marlins

Getty Images
8 Comments

For all of the headlines about Derek Jeter and Jeb Bush buying the Miami Marlins, this is looking like anything but a done deal. First is the small matter of the billion and a half bucks Jeter and Jeb need to put together. Then there’s the matter of there being another . . . mystery bidder!

That according to commissioner Rob Manfred who says two groups are still bidding to buy the Marlins. He said this morning at the groundbreaking for the Jackie Robinson Museum, adding “There is no agreement in place. We’re working with more than one group . . . there is not a signed document on any topic.”

Despite this, Manfred said that “the timeline is relatively short; it would be measured in days, not months.” So someone is likely to find that billion and a half bucks soon, I reckon.