Pablo Sandoval placed on disabled list with left hamstring strain

9 Comments

Pablo Sandoval strained his left hamstring while stretching for a throw at first base on Monday and the Giants have decided they won’t go short-handed on their roster any longer.

Per Amy Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com, Sandoval was placed on the disabled list this afternoon while light-hitting infielder Emmanuel Burriss was designated for assignment and first baseman Aubrey Huff was activated from the disabled list. Marco Scutaro, who was acquired from the Rockies late last night, was also added to the active roster and is starting at third base this afternoon against the Dodgers. Scutaro hasn’t made an appearance at the hot corner since 2008 as a member of the Blue Jays, but he’ll be asked to play there every day for now.

The move with Sandoval is retroactive to July 25, so he’ll be eligible to return on August 9. Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that they are hopeful he’ll be ready by then. It’s worth noting that August 9 is the last day of a road trip, so they could wait until they begin a six-game homestand on August 10.

Sandoval, 25, is batting .299/.352/.491 with eight home runs, 33 RBI and an .843 OPS in 62 games played this season. He missed five weeks after undergoing surgery in early May to remove a fractured hamate bone from his left hand.

The Dodgers are concerned about Julio Urias’ shoulder

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Things are going great for the Dodgers lately. They’ve won seven consecutive games and 13 of their last 14. They lead the National League in wins and are in first place in, arguably, the best division in baseball.

But there are a lot of moving parts on a baseball team, and even when some things are going great, other things can go not-so-great. Like this:

Urias has been diagnosed with shoulder inflammation and shut down indefinitely. An MRI last week showed no structural damage, but his shoulder is still bothering him. He has not pitched in the bigs since late May, when he allowed seven runs in less than three innings against the Miami Marlins. He was sent down after that and went 3-0 with a 3.12 ERA, six walks and 17 strikeouts in 17.1 innings pitched in three starts with Oklahoma City before being shelved.

 

Derek Jeter doesn’t have the money to buy the Marlins

Getty Images
2 Comments

Derek Jeter met with Major League Baseball yesterday and told them that he does not yet have the money to purchase the Miami Marlins, reports the Associated Press.

Jeter bid $1.3 billion for the Marlins, as did the group led by Tagg Romney and Tom Glavine. Bidding is one thing, however. Cash on the barrelhead is another. Jeter has been trying to wrangle together an investment group since Jeb Bush pulled out of his bid, but still hasn’t pulled it off. There are reportedly other groups still in the hunt.

If only there was someone else with baseball and Miami ties he could call.