After being criticized by Rangers president and CEO Nolan Ryan earlier this week, Josh Hamilton is now hearing it from some of his home fans.
Hamilton went 0-for-4 in last night’s 9-5 loss to the White Sox. While he at least contributed with a sacrifice fly and an RBI ground out, a smattering of boos could be heard after he struck out in the third and fifth innings.
According to Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Hamilton wasn’t happy about being booed in his home ballpark, but acknowledged that it comes with the territory.
“Yeah, I noticed but it’s all about what have you done for me lately, no matter who you are,” Hamilton said. “That’s what it is. There are more fans that are still cheering and encouraging me than the ones that are booing.
“I pray for the ones that are [booing] and I appreciate the support of the other ones.”
Hamilton, who has fought addiction his entire career, has heard plenty from fans across the country. But what did he make of the hometown crowd booing him?
“It’s disappointing,” he said.
Hamilton paused and repeated: “It’s disappointing. It is. I’ll leave it at that.”
Hamilton is currently tied with Miguel Cabrera for the American League lead with 83 RBI, but his slump has lingered for nearly two months. The impending free agent is hitting just .190 with seven homers and a 56/18 K/BB ratio in 186 plate appearances since the start of June, which has seen his batting average tumble from .368 to .284 overall.
The last time the Cubs were in the World Series was 1945, two years before Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball. As such, until Tuesday night, the Cubs never had a black player play for them in the World Series.
Dexter Fowler changed that, leading off the ballgame at Progressive Field against the Indians. Fowler was made aware of this fact three days ago by Rany Jazayerli of The Ringer:
Fowler, in that at-bat, went ahead in the count 2-1 but ended up striking out looking on a Corey Kluber sinker.
Red Sox lefty Drew Pomeranz was of limited utility during the postseason as he began experiencing soreness in his left forearm near the end of the 2016 season. There was some thought that he might need offseason surgery but Pomeranz was examined by doctors who determined that he does not need any surgery, Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald reports. President of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said:
He has seen the doctor, the doctor looked at him. I can’t really disclose totally everything that was done, but the doctor said no surgical procedure and the doctor feels he will be ready for next spring training for us.
Pomeranz, 27, finished the 2016 regular season with an aggregate 3.32 ERA and a 186/65 K/BB ratio in 170 2/3 innings between the Padres and Red Sox. He operated out of the bullpen during the playoffs, allowing two runs on four hits and two walks with seven strikeouts over 3 2/3 innings.
The Red Sox acquired Pomeranz in a trade with the Padres in July. It was a trade that earned Padres GM A.J. Preller a 30-day suspension from Major League Baseball, as he reportedly kept two sets of medical records in order to deceive trade partners.