Bud Selig

Bud Selig doubles down (or is it triples down?) on the “no one wants replay” thing


Bud Selig was on the Waddle and Silvy show and went farther than he ever has on the “no one wants replay” thing. And, once again, pointed to attendance as the reason why no innovation is needed:

When I said there is no appetite for further replay I wasn’t kidding. There’s none. There’s some people that think I maybe have done more than they hoped I would do.”

On the fans clamoring for Instant Replay:

“I’m not sure that is true. We do a lot of polling, I talk to a lot of fans, I get a lot of mail everyday and I answer every piece of mail here. Guess what guys, I get almost no letters, calls or thoughts on Instant Replay. By the way and I say this and I don’t want it to sound, we’re setting attendance records.

(1) name one person inside the game who will actually say, on the record, that baseball has gone too far with replay. I would like to know who this is. No, Joe Torre and other people who serve at the pleasure of Bud Selig don’t count; and

(2) I have no doubt that, among people who actually sit down and write longhand letters and mail them to Bud Selig via the Postal Service, replay is not desired. That’s because these are people who can’t get the “12:00” on their top-loader VHS machines to stop flashing.

But, publish Bud Selig’s personal email address and let’s see if that remains the same …

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.


Ichiro Suzuki is re-signing with the Marlins for 2016

Ichiro Suzuki

Fresh off his season-ending pitching debut, Ichiro Suzuki has decided to re-sign with the Marlins for 2016.

Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that an official announcement will be made later today,

Suzuki was one of the worst players in baseball this season, hitting .229 with one homer and a .561 OPS in 153 games as a semi-regular for the Marlins at age 41. He hasn’t topped a .700 OPS since 2010, hitting a combined .268 with a .304 on-base percentage and .342 slugging percentage in 769 games during the past five seasons.

He’s also just 65 hits short of reaching 3,000 for his MLB career and presumably the Marlins like being involved in that upcoming milestone and having the well-liked future Hall of Famer in the clubhouse to keep him around in what will no doubt be a lesser role.