The Nationals suffered a big blow Sunday, with shortstop Ian Desmond heading off to the disabled list with a torn oblique.
An MRI today revealed the extent of the injury, and Desmond is expected to miss at least a few weeks, CSNWashington.com’s Mark Zuckerman reports.
Desmond has been fighting the oblique for at least a month, and while he stayed in the Nationals’ lineup, he opted to skip the All-Star Game to try to rest it. Unfortunately, it didn’t work. The incredible thing is that Desmond increased his production while playing through the injury. Over his last 19 games, he was hitting .388 with six homers.
“He was playing so good with it, hitting rockets,” manager Davey Johnson said. “I just couldn’t read it. And they don’t MRI those things usually, we haven’t all year long. We just know it was kind of a strain.”
With Desmond out, the Nationals will play Danny Espinosa at shortstop and Steve Lombardozzi at second base. Lombardozzi was mostly playing left field this season while Michael Morse was sidelined. His at-bats in the outfield will now go to Corey Brown and Roger Bernadina, at least until Jayson Werth comes off the DL. Brown is coming up from Triple-A to replace Desmond on the roster.
We’ve poked fun often at the spring training trope of players showing up to camp in the “best shape of [their] life.” Reds first baseman Joey Votto has turned that entirely on its head. Talking about his offseason, the 2010 NL MVP said, “I tried to get fatter. I succeeded at that apparently. We did all the testing and I am fatter,” Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports. Votto, of course, wasn’t trying to say he’s not in shape; he was just using some of his trademark self-deprecating humor.
Votto did get serious when discussing the state of the rebuilding Reds. As Buchanan also reported, Votto said, “I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball. I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”
Votto, 34, is under contract with the Reds through at least 2023, so he still has plenty of incentive to help see the rebuild through. He has been nothing short of stellar over the last three seasons. This past season, he hit .320/.454/.578 with 36 home runs, 100 RBI, and 106 runs scored in 707 appearances across all 162 games. Votto led the majors in walks (134) and on-base percentage and led the National League in OPS (1.032).
Despite Votto’s presence, both FanGraphs and PECOTA are projecting the Reds to put up a 74-88 record. The club had a pretty quiet offseason, expecting to enter 2018 with largely the same roster as last year.