Carlos Quentin and Huston Street are two of the most popular trade chips around, so the assumption has been that the Padres will deal them before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. Not so, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.
According to Heyman, the Padres now want to sign both Quentin and Street to multi-year deals. Both players have expressed a desire to stay in San Diego, because, well, who the heck wouldn’t if the price is right? And while the ownership situation is unsettled at the moment, current owner John Moores and presumptive new owner Ron Fowler have given the OK to try to sign them.
Every report must be taken with a grain of salt at this time of year, so it’s possible the Padres are floating this out there in order to raise the asking price among prospective suitors. Quentin is a San Diego native, so the Padres may feel some extra incentive to get something done with him, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right course of action for a franchise in rebuilding mode.
Quentin, an impending free agent, is batting .268/.394/.512 with eight home runs, 21 RBI and a .905 OPS in 37 games played this season. Street has compiled a microscopic 1.07 ERA and 34/8 K/BB ratio over 25 1/3 innings this season while going a perfect 15-for-15 in save opportunities. His contract includes a $500,000 buyout on a $9 million mutual option for 2013.
Allen Craig has been dreadful since the Red Sox acquired him from the Cardinals in the mid-2014 John Lackey trade, slashing .128/.234/.191 in 107 plate appearances last year and .152/.239/.203 in 88 plate appearances at the major league level this year.
Craig hasn’t been the same player since suffering a Lisfranc injury in 2013, and the 31-year-old first baseman and corner outfielder is still owed $20 million from a five-year, $31 million extension he signed with the Cardinals. So, yeah, the Red Sox would love to find a taker this winter, as new club president Dave Dombrowski told Tim Britton of the Providence Journal on Tuesday …
You don’t often hear an executive express that kind of thing publicly. It was former Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington who brought Craig to Boston.
Cardinals starter John Lackey had a clean first inning in Game 4 of the NLDS on Tuesday afternoon at Wrigley Field, but Anthony Rizzo opened the bottom of the second a shift-beating single to the left side of the infield and then Starlin Castro reached on a fielder’s choice grounder to short. Kyle Schwarber came through with a single and Jason Hammel followed a Miguel Montero strikeout with a two-out, run-scoring liner up the middle.
Enter young shortstop prospect Javier Baez, who’s filling in for the injured Addison Russell in Game 4 as the Cubs try to advance to the NLCS …
Opposite field. Wind-aided, sure, but it probably didn’t need the wind anyway. What a shot.
Chicago leads the visiting Cardinals 4-2 as the sixth inning gets underway at Wrigley.
Mets infielder Juan Uribe has been sidelined since late September with a chest injury and it sounds like he won’t be available for the NLCS if New York advances.
Mets manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York that Uribe has yet to resume baseball activities and continues to experience discomfort.
Uribe was a useful late-July pickup for the Mets and hit .253 with 14 homers and a .737 OPS in 119 total games for three different teams this season, but his postseason role would be pretty limited even if he were healthy.