Ozzie Guillen isn’t over being disrepected by Bryce Harper during Sunday’s game. Not even close.
CSN Washington’s Mark Zuckerman has the quotes from Guillen’s rant prior to Monday’s game.
“I like this kid,” Guillen said. “I think this kid is good for baseball. He’s going to be better. But if this kid continues to do that ****, he might not make it. Because they’re going to fool around with the wrong guy, and that wrong guy will kick his ass. He might not make it.”
As for that wrong guy, well, it won’t be Guillen. Referring to how Nationals manager Davey Johnson said Guillen was trying to intimidate Harper during Sunday’s game, Guillen said:
I wish this happened two years ago. Then I would’ve told Davey what I feel. And I would’ve told this kid what I feel. Intimidate? Pfft. I never intimidate people. For what? Do I look like I intimidate anybody? I swear, if we fight, that kid will kick my ass. You think I’m going to intimidate him?
No, probably not.
Guillen said the Marlins have no plans to retaliate for Sunday’s incident, which boiled down to Guillen complaining about the pine tar on Harper’s bat, Harper pointing his clean bat towards the Marlins dugout after making a switch and Guillen dropping some f-bombs on the kid.
“He showed me up,” Guillen said. “I never showed him up. Not one thing about it.”
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes will opt out of his contract shortly after the World Series concludes. Cespedes, who earned $17.5 million for the 2016 season, has two years and $47.5 million remaining on his deal which includes an opt-out clause.
That Cespedes plans to opt out isn’t surprising as he’s almost certain to get a better contract entering a weak free agent market. He hit a terrific .280/.354/.530 with 31 home runs and 86 RBI in 543 plate appearances for the Mets this past season.
It remains to be seen how the Mets will deal with potentially losing Cespedes. They can pick up a $13 million club option for Jay Bruce, but he performed terribly after joining the Mets in a trade from the Reds. The Mets could also go after free agents Jose Bautista or Mark Trumbo. Curtis Granderson and Michael Conforto will handle the other two outfield positions.
Major League Baseball announced on Wednesday that former Red Sox DH David Ortiz and Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant won the 2016 Hank Aaron Award in their respective leagues.
Ortiz, 40, flourished in his final season, batting .315/.401/.620 with 38 home runs and 127 RBI in 626 plate appearances during the regular season. His .620 slugging percentage, 1.021 OPS, and 48 doubles led the majors while his 127 RBI led the American League. Ortiz also won the Hank Aaron Award back in 2005.
Bryant, 24, is the likely winner of the National League Most Valuable Player Award as well. He hit .292/.385/.554 with 39 home runs and 102 RBI over 699 plate appearances. He also led the league by scoring 121 runs. Bryant is the first Cub to win the Hank Aaron Award since Aramis Ramirez in 2008.
Last year’s winners in the AL and NL, respectively, were Josh Donaldson and Bryce Harper.