It sounds like Bobby Valentine has lost the clubhouse

98 Comments

Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston has a story up today that makes it sound like Bobby Valentine has lost the Red Sox clubhouse. He has cool relations with his coaching staff, Edes reports, and he has lost the support of the veterans, assuming he ever had it:

David Ortiz publicly stated his support recently for the manager, but another respected player on the team said privately that it was all for show. That same player has gone weeks without speaking to Valentine and said that the manager does not have the support of “anyone” in the clubhouse … Valentine went out to the mound in Chicago for a visit with his pitcher, and all the infielders joined him for the conference except star second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who remained at his position.

Edes ads that players are grumbling about the Youkilis trade and that they are taking complaints about Bobby Valentine to GM Ben Cherington. Who, quite obviously, was not on board with the Valentine hire in the offseason, but rather had it foisted on him by team president Larry Lucchino.

It’s hard to know what really goes on in a clubhouse and, it’s worth noting, these stories always exist because someone has an ax to grind and seeks out the media to help him grind it.  The other side — where there is harmony — doesn’t get reported, at least at first.

But to the extent there is something bad going down inside the Sox’ clubhouse, it would not at all shock me if this is a logical extension of how Terry Francona was treated last year. The coaches with whom Valentine is reportedly having trouble were Francona assistants. The veterans all reportedly liked Francona.  He was thrown under a friggin’ bus and, though it’s not Bobby V’s fault that happened, he’s the guy who is going to get the cold shoulder.

If the Sox turn this around competitively and win despite the strife, all of this will be viewed with some amusement like the 1977 Yankees or it will turn into some coming together narrative. If the Sox lose, though, it’s gonna be ugly, ugly, ugly.

Mets place Zack Wheeler on the 10-day disabled list

Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Mets announced on Monday that starter Zack Wheeler has been placed on the 10-day disabled list with a stress reaction in his right arm. Pitcher Tyler Pill has been recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas.

Wheeler, 27, has a 5.21 ERA with an 81/40 K/BB ratio in 86 1/3 innings this season. He joins a long list of injured Mets, including rotation mates Noah Syndergaard, Matt Harvey, Tommy Milone, and Robert Gsellman. It’s not clear at the moment how long Wheeler will be out.

Pill, 27, has spent most of his season with Las Vegas, with which he has a 3.47 ERA over 13 starts. He has made three starts and two relief appearances in the majors this season as well.

Report: Royals acquire Brandon Maurer, Ryan Buchter, Trevor Cahill from Padres

Denis Poroy/Getty Images
2 Comments

Robert Murray of FanRag Sports reports that the Royals are acquiring pitchers Brandon Maurer, Ryan Buchter, and Trevor Cahill from the Padres in exchange for Matt Strahm, Travis Wood, and Esteury Ruiz. Jon Heyman has confirmed the deal.

Maurer, 27, has saved 20 games for the Padres this year despite a 5.72 ERA. He carries with him a 38/8 K/BB ratio in 39 1/3 innings. The right-hander is arbitration-eligible going into the next two seasons and can become a free agent after the 2019 season.

Buchter, 30, owns a 3.05 ERA with a 47/18 K/BB ratio in 38 1/3 innings of relief work this season with the Padres. He’ll be under team control through 2021.

Cahill, 29, has posted a 3.69 ERA with a 72/24 K/BB ratio in 61 innings across 11 starts. He can become a free agent after the season.

Strahm, 25, put up a 5.45 ERA with a 37/22 K/BB ratio in 34 2/3 innings. He underwent season-ending knee surgery on July 7 and will miss the rest of the season.

Wood, 30, has a 6.91 ERA with a 29/20 K/BB ratio in 41 2/3 innings. Given his experience out of both the starting rotation and the bullpen, he can pitch in a swingman role. The lefty is under contract next year for $6.5 million. Wood has a mutual option for 2019 worth $8 million with a $1 million buyout.

Ruiz, 18, signed with the Royals as an international free agent out of the Dominican Republic in July 2015. This season, in rookie ball, he hit .419/.440/.779 in 91 plate appearances. Ruiz has played both second base and shortstop.