Chipper Jones

Chipper Jones replaces Matt Kemp on NL All-Star team


It’s a case of very unusual timing, what with Chipper Jones currently leading the NL Final Vote, but the National League announced Tuesday that Jones would replace the injured Matt Kemp on the All-Star team.

The most recent reports had Chipper holding a slim lead in the Final Vote balloting over Cardinals third baseman David Freese, with Bryce Harper in third place.

Final Vote balloting ends Thursday afternoon, so it’s hard to see why the league didn’t just wait until then to announce Kemp’s replacement. If Freese goes on to win the balloting, it would give the NL team four third basemen, which hardly seems necessary. Now that Chipper is out of the mix, Harper figures to pick up more votes from the non-St. Louis contingent. Harper, of course, threw his support behind Chipper when the ballot was announced Sunday.

It will be Chipper’s eighth All-Star nod. The 1999 NL MVP and future Hall of Famer announced earlier this year that he’d retire at season’s end.

As for Kemp, he’s still expected to take part in Monday’s Home Run Derby, even though he’s on the disabled list with a strained hamstring. Ryan Braun automatically replaces him in the starting lineup because of his placement in the player’s vote, but this still gives manager Tony La Russa a decision to make, as Braun was the obvious choice to start at DH if Kemp had been able to play. Now La Russa can take his pick. Carlos Gonzalez is one possibility. David Wright could be another, particularly if Freese wins the Final Vote and gives the team the extra third baseman.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.


Ichiro Suzuki is re-signing with the Marlins for 2016

Ichiro Suzuki

Fresh off his season-ending pitching debut, Ichiro Suzuki has decided to re-sign with the Marlins for 2016.

Joe Frisaro of reports that an official announcement will be made later today,

Suzuki was one of the worst players in baseball this season, hitting .229 with one homer and a .561 OPS in 153 games as a semi-regular for the Marlins at age 41. He hasn’t topped a .700 OPS since 2010, hitting a combined .268 with a .304 on-base percentage and .342 slugging percentage in 769 games during the past five seasons.

He’s also just 65 hits short of reaching 3,000 for his MLB career and presumably the Marlins like being involved in that upcoming milestone and having the well-liked future Hall of Famer in the clubhouse to keep him around in what will no doubt be a lesser role.