The initial word Wednesday was that Andy Pettitte would miss at least six weeks with the broken left fibula he suffered when hit by a Casey Kotchman liner. The Yankees, though, placed him on the 60-day DL today, suggesting that he’ll be put on a rehab plan to return right around Sept. 1.
The Bombers also officially placed CC Sabathia on the 15-day DL today. Called up to replace the injured pitchers were Adam Warren and Ryota Igarashi.
Warren, 24, will make his major league debut Friday, starting in Sabathia’s place. That was originally expected to be Freddy Garcia’s assignment, but he’ll start Monday in Pettitte’s place after pitching in relief yesterday.
Warren was 5-5 with a 3.86 ERA and a 59/27 K/BB ratio in 86 1/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He was 3-2 with a 2.03 ERA in five starts this month.
Igarashi will join the pen. He made two appearances for the Jays and one for the Yankees earlier this season and allowed runs in all of them. Overall, he has a 6.21 ERA in 71 innings as a major league reliever.
Until Sabathia returns — something that should happen immediately after the break — the Yankees will use a rotation of Hiroki Kuroda, Ivan Nova, Phil Hughes, Garcia and Warren. Both Garcia and Warren will apparently have two starts to show that they deserve to keep their spot once Sabathia is back.
The dust hasn’t quite settled after right-hander Dellin Betances‘ arbitration hearing with the Yankees on Saturday. The case was decided in the team’s favor, awarding Betances with a $3 million salary for the 2017 season instead of the $5 million he initially requested. Yankees’ president Randy Levine held a press conference to voice his outrage over the figure presented by Betances and his agency, saying it had “no bearings in reality” since Betances does not have the elite closer status required for a salary bump of that magnitude.
Needless to say, the comments caused some consternation within Betances’ camp. The reliever publicly addressed the outburst, telling the press that he was prepared to put his differences with the team aside until he heard what Levine had to say. Via MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch:
Players union executive Rick Shapiro and Betances’ agent, Jim Murray, also spoke out in the right-hander’s favor. Shapiro presented Betances’ case during the hearing on Saturday and called Levine’s comments “an absolute disgrace to the arbitration process and to all of Major League Baseball.” In a report from FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, Shapiro added: “The only thing that has been unprecedented in the last 36 hours is that a club official, after winning a case, called a news conference to effectively gloat about his victory – that’s unprecedented.”
Murray spoke exclusively to Rosenthal, accusing the president of effectively bullying the 28-year-old during the arbitration process and claiming that Levine had both mispronounced Betances’ name throughout the hearing and blamed the reliever for “declining ticket sales and their lack of playoff history.” Like Betances, Murray said that the agency was ready to accept the arbiter’s decision and move on before Levine’s decision to air his grievances to the media. “The only person overreaching in this entire situation is Randy,” Murray told Rosenthal. “He might as well be an astronaut because nobody on earth would agree with what he is saying. Even the others in the room would disagree with him.”
Royals’ manager Ned Yost is shaking things up in 2017, starting with left fielder Alex Gordon. Yost told MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan that “every scenario is open,” and expects to utilize Gordon in right and center field this spring while he figures out where to position Jorge Soler and Brandon Moss.
Gordon, 33, hasn’t manned right field since a three-game experiment with the Royals back in 2010 and has yet to play center field during any regular season to date. The focus, however, isn’t on Gordon’s capabilities. Among the three outfielders, he carries the best defensive profile and appears to be the most versatile of the bunch.
According to Flanagan, Soler and Moss are average on defense and will continue working closely with Royals’ coach Rusty Kuntz as the season approaches. One arrangement could see Gordon in center field, flanked by Soler in right field and Moss in left, though Yost foresees Soler taking some reps at DH if his defensive chops aren’t up to snuff.
While Moss is prepared to see starts at either outfield corner, Yost appears to be set on keeping Soler in right field, at least for the time being. The club is hoping for a bounce-back season from the 24-year-old outfielder, who was acquired from the Cubs in December after batting a lackluster .238/.333/.436 and sustaining a slew of minor injuries throughout the 2016 season.